Kolkata's Jewish Connect Archived Digitally
Documenting the contribution of the fast dwindling Jewish community of Kolkata, a digital archive has brought together a collection of their fading memories.
Jael Silliman, one of the few remaining Baghdadi Jews in Kolkata, has created the online archive with documents, photographs, letters, memoirs and videos charting the 200-year-old history of Jews in the city.
"Jews have played an important role in the growth of Kolkata as a city and I want to showcase that through the website www.Jewishcalcutta.In. Jews had flourished here and were pretty successful in whatever they did. I have brought all of that together," the 59-year-old Nehru Fulbright scholar told PTI.
The Baghdadi Jewish community came to Kolkata during the British Raj and were more than 3000 in number during Independence but have now been decimated to less than 30.
"After that they started shifting to other countries because they were unsure about their economic future as India took the policy of nationalisation," Silliman said.
Cyril Cohen and Aaron Harazi, two of the most elderly in the community, were interviewed and filmed for the project.
The film, put up on the website, also showcases the magnificent synagogues and the tale of Jewish Girls School where no Jewish girl has taken admission in the last 40 years.
Rare photographs of Kolkata-born Esther Victoria Abraham aka Pramila, a Bollywood actress and also the first 'Miss India', is a special attraction.
Jewish delicacies are also an integral part of Kolkata's menu as no Christmas is complete without the trademark plum and rich fruit cakes of the iconic Nahoum's confectionery at New Market which sells 'Kosher' foods that conform to the regulations of Jewish dietary law.
The archive lists recipes from Mavis Hyman's book 'Indian Jewish Cooking' and Flower Silliman's new cookbook 'Three Cups of Flower' in the section on Calcutta Jewish food.
Silliman also collected images of artefacts and religious objects they had used over the years.
Traces of Jews are seen in the city in the form of three synagogues, two schools, a cemetery and Nahoums Confectionery.
Ezra Mansions, Ezra hospital and two buildings in the zoo that are owned and endowed by Jews still bear Jewish names. Belilios Street, Ezra Street and Synagogue Street also reflect the Jewish connection.
Silliman took the help of the Jewish diaspora spread in USA, Canada, Australia, Israel and London seeking photographs and memories of their stay in Kolkata.
Dr Amlan Das Gupta at the School of Cultural Texts and Records (SCTR) at Jadavpur University helped her in creating the archive.
In the second phase of her project, Silliman will interview those who knew the Jewish community and its members – their business acquaintances, friends, employers, employees, neighbours, teachers.
Now living in between New York and Kolkata, Silliman has written the novel 'The Man With Many Hats' that is set in Kolkata.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileA brilliant young academic debunks cosy histories of Indian secularism, among other things...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBImpressionsIt was a cold December morning in Paris when Museemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA Hindu Right wing organisation has claimed that tmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'