Kochi HC Strikes Down 'Mangalya Nidi' Tax on Weddings
Kerala High Court has struck down as unconstitutional the state government's decision to levy a 'Mangalya Nidi' cess on weddings and associated celebrations from auditoriums and hotels of three star category and above.
Allowing a batch of petitions filed by owners of auditoriums of Kollam and Kasaragod districts, challenging the government's decision to levy the cess, Justice K Vinod Chandran observed that the levy was not a fee and could only be treated as tax.
The court held that the legislation was ultra vires of the power of the state legislature as conferred by the Constitution and the state has 'no right to levy and collect the cess'.
The petitioners had submitted that it was a tax on marriage for which the state legislature had no jurisdiction. The cess would offend the practising religion as the functions related to marriages were part of religious ceremonies.
Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani had in the 2013 budget introduced the three per cent cess on the expenses related to celebrations held in connection with marriages.
However, later a fixed slab was introduced at Rs 10,000 for AC auditoriums and Rs 5000 for non-AC auditoriums in corporation and municipal areas. Cess of Rs 7500 and Rs 3000 were levied in panchayat areas for AC and Non-AC auditoriums respectively.
The government stated that funds generated from the cess would be used for providing financial help to those belonging to poor families to conduct marriages.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman