Klose Retires From International Football
German striker Miroslav Klose, the all-time World Cup top scorer, announced his retirement from international football today.
The 36-year-old leaves the German national team as a World Cup winner after last month helping Joachim Loew's side to their first global crown since 1990 when they defeated Argentina 1-0 in the Rio-hosted final.
The Lazio frontman picked up his 16th goal, in what was his fourth World Cup, to surpass Brazilian Ronaldo as the tournament's leading scorer.
Klose, who won two German titles with Bayern Munich following spells with Kaiserslautern and Werder Bremen, said he had "fulfilled a childhood dream with the title in Brazil" and lived "unforgettable moments with the national team", according to a statement released by the German football federation.
"The success of the team stood and always stands for me in the highest place," Klose said.
"With the national team I achieved our greatest goal, a goal which we had together within the squad.
"In addition, I achieved personal goals and those who know me know that I am very ambitious, but I am a striker and the task of a striker is to score goals.
"Therefore the records never concerned me, but it was always about giving my best for the team."
The Polish-born marksman scored five goals at the 2002 World Cup, where Germany were beaten 2-0 by Ronaldo's Brazil in the final, five in 2006 on home soil, four in 2010 at South Africa and two in 2014.
He broke the World Cup record for goals in July when he found the target for his 16th strike during the 7-1 semi-final rout of Brazil.
He is one of just three players, alongside Pele and Uwe Seeler, to score in four World Cups, and finishes his Germany career as the country's all-time leading scorer with 71 goals in 137 appearances.
- Burhan Wani's Successor Sabzar Bhat, Killed
- After Rahul, Akhilesh Denied Entry To Saharanpur
- WHO Confirms First Zika Cases From Ahmedabad
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10