Kerry Meets Jaitley, Discusses WTO Impasse
US Secretary of State John Kerry today met Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and discussed India's stance on the ongoing WTO's Trade Facilitation Agreement talks which are set to conclude at Geneva later in the day.
Kerry was accompanied by US Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker who has already expressed disappointment over India's stand at the ongoing TFA negotiations for easing customs rule for free movement of goods.
"We had a good discussion. India is a big market. We also had discussion on issues related to WTO," an official privy to the meeting said.
India has been maintaining that it will not ratify the TFA, which is dear to the developed world, until a permanent solution is found on the issue of public stock holding for food security purposes.
TFA, which aims at simplifying customs procedure, increasing transparency and reducing transactions cost, is being pushed by the US and others as they seek to bolster their sagging economies through an unhindered international trade by way of a uniform and easy procedures at customs.
India is seeking a guarantee on food security for its hundreds of millions of poor as a pre-condition for the passage of the pact.
The agreement, drafted during a ministerial summit at the Indonesian resort town of Bali last December, has to be sealed by July 31.
Yesterday, Pritzker said she was "hopeful that even in the last remaining days India might find a way to come to a solution on this issue".
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman