Kerry Meets Jaitley, Discusses WTO Impasse
US Secretary of State John Kerry today met Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and discussed India's stance on the ongoing WTO's Trade Facilitation Agreement talks which are set to conclude at Geneva later in the day.
Kerry was accompanied by US Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker who has already expressed disappointment over India's stand at the ongoing TFA negotiations for easing customs rule for free movement of goods.
"We had a good discussion. India is a big market. We also had discussion on issues related to WTO," an official privy to the meeting said.
India has been maintaining that it will not ratify the TFA, which is dear to the developed world, until a permanent solution is found on the issue of public stock holding for food security purposes.
TFA, which aims at simplifying customs procedure, increasing transparency and reducing transactions cost, is being pushed by the US and others as they seek to bolster their sagging economies through an unhindered international trade by way of a uniform and easy procedures at customs.
India is seeking a guarantee on food security for its hundreds of millions of poor as a pre-condition for the passage of the pact.
The agreement, drafted during a ministerial summit at the Indonesian resort town of Bali last December, has to be sealed by July 31.
Yesterday, Pritzker said she was "hopeful that even in the last remaining days India might find a way to come to a solution on this issue".
FROM OUTLOOKWtoNorth and South are set for a fresh battle on trade issues. And the arena is the WTO...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDTo Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO):more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, July 25 (AFP) The United States todaymore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED