Kerry Meets Jaitley, Discusses WTO Impasse
US Secretary of State John Kerry today met Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and discussed India's stance on the ongoing WTO's Trade Facilitation Agreement talks which are set to conclude at Geneva later in the day.
Kerry was accompanied by US Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker who has already expressed disappointment over India's stand at the ongoing TFA negotiations for easing customs rule for free movement of goods.
"We had a good discussion. India is a big market. We also had discussion on issues related to WTO," an official privy to the meeting said.
India has been maintaining that it will not ratify the TFA, which is dear to the developed world, until a permanent solution is found on the issue of public stock holding for food security purposes.
TFA, which aims at simplifying customs procedure, increasing transparency and reducing transactions cost, is being pushed by the US and others as they seek to bolster their sagging economies through an unhindered international trade by way of a uniform and easy procedures at customs.
India is seeking a guarantee on food security for its hundreds of millions of poor as a pre-condition for the passage of the pact.
The agreement, drafted during a ministerial summit at the Indonesian resort town of Bali last December, has to be sealed by July 31.
Yesterday, Pritzker said she was "hopeful that even in the last remaining days India might find a way to come to a solution on this issue".
FROM OUTLOOKWtoNorth and South are set for a fresh battle on trade issues. And the arena is the WTO...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDTo Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO):more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, July 25 (AFP) The United States todaymore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Kejriwal Assails BJP Over Sidhu's Remark
- Parsi Population Dips by 22% Between 2001-2011
- AAP Failed on Women Security Front, Kejriwal Should Resign: BJP
- Wrestler Narsingh Yadav 'Framed', Says Congress Leader
- NIA Files Chargesheet Against Three Men With Alleged ISIS Links
- Not Liable to Repay Rs 6000 Cr Debt Due to Breach of Terms: KFA
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED