Kerala's Bar Ban Order Ratified by Cabinet
Kerala cabinet today ratified the new liquor policy of the Congress led UDF government which envisaged to shut down bars attached to hotels below the five-star category as part of its plans to reduce availability of liquor.
The cabinet, however deferred a decision on issues related to licences to beer and wine parlours and elite clubs that serve liquor.
Several matters, including issues related to beer and wine parlours and clubs serving liquor, has to incorporate in the new policy, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters during cabinet briefing here.
These issues would be taken up at the next cabinet meeting, Chandy said, adding, ruling UDF had taken a strong decision now to close down of about 730 bars.
Meanwhile, as part of new policy, 312 bars attached to hotels below the five-star category would be served notices tomorrow asking them to close their bars by September 12.
Apart from closing down 312 bars, the government had also decided not to renew licences of 418 bars that remained shut since April for want of required facilities.
The radical policy shift to sharply cut down on liquor trade was taken by the UDF leadership meet last week when it met consider the fate of the 418 closed bars.
Meanwhile, Excise Minister K Babu denied reports that Finance Minister K M Mani had recommended reopening the 418 bars.
Media reports that he had informed the cabinet meeting about the Finance Minister's request was also false, he said in a press release
"Mani had not suggested me to reopen 418 bars and I had not told the cabinet about this', Babu said.
His statement comes in the wake of reports that there were 'differences' in the cabinet over the liquor policy of closing down 730 bars.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village