Judge Harassment Case: SC Stays Functioning of HC-Appointed Panel
The Supreme Court today issued notice to a Madhya Pradesh High Court judge against whom sexual harassment allegations were levelled by a woman Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) who later resigned.
A bench headed by Justice J S Khehar, which also sought responses from the Secretary General of the Supreme Court and Registrar General of the High Court, stayed the functioning of a panel, formed by the Chief Justice of the MP High Court to look into the complaint of the former woman judge.
"In the meantime, the order dated August 8 (of the CJ of HC) shall remain stayed," the bench said.
The former Gwalior judge, who had resigned alleging sexual harassment by the High Court judge, had moved the apex court raising questions over the judicial panel to look into her complaint.
She has sought setting up a committee comprising two Chief Justices and one judge of High Courts to probe her allegations against the HC judge.
In her plea, she has said that her resignation is a "constructive termination" and she be reinstated with all consequential benefits.
In her petition, she said the HC order of August 8 constituting a judicial panel should be quashed as she felt it will not do justice to her.
"Chief Justice of India in his administrative capacity constitute a committee comprising two Chief Justices from outside the High Court of Madhya Pradesh and another High Court judge and also an external non-judicial member to enquire into her complaint," the petition said.
She had earlier also raised objections to the inclusion of a High Court judge in the committee set up to go into her complaint.
She had said the judge, who had harassed her sexually, was still discharging judicial and administrative functions over the staff who were working with her and have witnessed her victimisation.
The Gwalior judge had also objected to the summons being sent to her husband and daughter to be present at the enquiry.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- K.P.S. Gill: The Man Who Won The Terror Battle In Punjab
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10