J&K Withholding Lease of Firing Ranges on Diktat of Separatists: VHP
Alleging that the Omar Abdullah-led government was withholding the extension of lease of firing ranges to Army on the diktat of the separatists, the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) today said this was part of a plan to demoralise the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The Omar Abdullah government has withheld extension of lease of firing ranges to Army in the state, particularly in Jammu region, on the diktat of the separatists," VHP patron Ramakant Dubey told reporters here.
He said it was part of a plan to demoralise the armed and paramilitary forces, who are engaged in fighting terrorism and facing aggression from the Pakistani Army on the borders.
There are 66 such "firing ranges" in the country, of which six are in Jammu and Kashmir, he said.
But the state government has asked the army to vacate "firing ranges" at Toshmaidan in Badgam, Kaleth Nagar and Nandni in Jammu and Khumbathang in Kargil "under the pressure of separatists and anti-national elements", he claimed.
In view of the geographical and political conditions of the state much more "firing ranges" are required to be established, he said.
Dubey appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces, to ensure grant of extension of leases of firing ranges, thereby saving troops from getting demoralise in the state.
- ED Issues Fresh Summons to Zakir Naik in Money Laundering Case
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- Would Have Been Better Had BJP Given Tickets To Muslims In Uttar Pradesh, Says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- DU Girl Gurmehar Kaur Moves DCW Over 'Rape' Threats From ABVP Members
- ONGC May Acquire India's 3rd Largest Fuel Retailer HPCL For A Whopping Rs 44,000 Crore
- At Least 20 Children Injured After School Bus Overturns In Kanpur
- Commission Says Counterfeiters And Hackers Cost The US Close To 600 Billion A Year
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events