J&K Withholding Lease of Firing Ranges on Diktat of Separatists: VHP
Alleging that the Omar Abdullah-led government was withholding the extension of lease of firing ranges to Army on the diktat of the separatists, the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) today said this was part of a plan to demoralise the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The Omar Abdullah government has withheld extension of lease of firing ranges to Army in the state, particularly in Jammu region, on the diktat of the separatists," VHP patron Ramakant Dubey told reporters here.
He said it was part of a plan to demoralise the armed and paramilitary forces, who are engaged in fighting terrorism and facing aggression from the Pakistani Army on the borders.
There are 66 such "firing ranges" in the country, of which six are in Jammu and Kashmir, he said.
But the state government has asked the army to vacate "firing ranges" at Toshmaidan in Badgam, Kaleth Nagar and Nandni in Jammu and Khumbathang in Kargil "under the pressure of separatists and anti-national elements", he claimed.
In view of the geographical and political conditions of the state much more "firing ranges" are required to be established, he said.
Dubey appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces, to ensure grant of extension of leases of firing ranges, thereby saving troops from getting demoralise in the state.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Lok Sabha Approves Amendment to Lokpal Act for Deferring Asset Filing
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- India-US Deal to Procure Four Poseidon-8I Aircraft
- No Intimation to Lodha Panel on Meeting, SGM Shifted to Delhi
- Former Maharashtra MLA Somnath Wani Dead
- Fresh Rebellion in BSP, Two MLAs Allege Money-for-Ticket Demand
- Stop Exporting Terror to J&K, India Tells Pakistan
- Eight-Year-Old Boy Sexually Assaulted, Murdered by Two in Tamil Nadu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED