J&K Withholding Lease of Firing Ranges on Diktat of Separatists: VHP
Alleging that the Omar Abdullah-led government was withholding the extension of lease of firing ranges to Army on the diktat of the separatists, the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) today said this was part of a plan to demoralise the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The Omar Abdullah government has withheld extension of lease of firing ranges to Army in the state, particularly in Jammu region, on the diktat of the separatists," VHP patron Ramakant Dubey told reporters here.
He said it was part of a plan to demoralise the armed and paramilitary forces, who are engaged in fighting terrorism and facing aggression from the Pakistani Army on the borders.
There are 66 such "firing ranges" in the country, of which six are in Jammu and Kashmir, he said.
But the state government has asked the army to vacate "firing ranges" at Toshmaidan in Badgam, Kaleth Nagar and Nandni in Jammu and Khumbathang in Kargil "under the pressure of separatists and anti-national elements", he claimed.
In view of the geographical and political conditions of the state much more "firing ranges" are required to be established, he said.
Dubey appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces, to ensure grant of extension of leases of firing ranges, thereby saving troops from getting demoralise in the state.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED