Jhelum Flows Above Danger Levels, Flood Alert in Srinagar
A flood alert was today sounded in Srinagar city as River Jhelum was flowing four feet above the danger mark after incessant rain, while 23 villages have been inundated by floods in south Kashmir districts of Anantnag and Kulgam.
Incessant rain over the past three days has wreaked havoc in many parts of the Valley with south Kashmir's Anantnag and Kulgam districts the worst-hit.
"Flood alert has been sounded in Srinagar city and all emergency services have been pressed into service to meet the eventuality of a flood," Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar, Farooq Ahmad Shah said.
He said River Jhelum at Ram Munshi Bagh in the city was flowing at 22 feet, which is four feet above the danger mark.
Two persons were washed away at Aboora in Budgam district yesterday while nearly 100 persons trapped in flood waters in south Kashmir were evacuated to safety.
A senior official said 23 villages in south Kashmir have been flooded so far.
Some parts of Srinagar city along the banks of Doodh Ganga stream were flooded as the water was flowing over the banks.
Bone and Joint Hospital and adjoining residential areas of Barzullah, Natipora and Rambagh were flooded by the water.
Shah said the district administration has been monitoring the situation round-the-clock and taking steps to provide relief to the affected people.
The patients at the Bone and Joint Hospital were shifted to the upper stories of the buildings following water-logging last night.
The MET office has forecast more rains over the next 48 hours raising the possibility of more areas of Kashmir getting flooded.
An official of the Weather office said Qazigund in south Kashmir received 156.7 mm rainfall in the past 24 hours up to 8.30 AM today.
Srinagar recorded 52 mm rainfall in the corresponding period while Kupwara in north Kashmir received 119.4 mm rainfall.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10