Jet Airways London Flight Departs After Nearly 24-Hour Delay
Around 300 air passengers, who were stranded for nearly 22 hours after a London-bound Jet Airways plane was grounded due to a technical glitch, finally left for for their destination this morning.
"The stranded flight took off at around 11.45 AM today after a long delay of 22 hours. The airline today operated it as a special flight 9W 1118 with an Airbus 330," sources told PTI here.
The London flight was grounded due to technical issue, Jet Airways spokesperson had said in a statement yesterday, adding that the airline will be operating a special flight on Saturday morning to London Heathrow.
The flight 9W 118 was scheduled to leave for London's Heathrow Airport on Friday at 12.45 PM but Jet Airways grounded the aircraft, citing "technical" reasons.
"We were told that the flight will depart at 6 PM since the airline had arranged another aircraft, but later we were informed that this aircraft too was grounded due to a technical glitch and passengers would fly only at 1.30 AM in the morning," a stranded Jet Airways passenger said last night.
The airline also facilitated travel for some of the guests on other airlines and on its later flight to London. The rest of the guests have been provided accommodation at the Leela Mumbai, the spokesperson said.
It may be mentioned that aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation had in a first of its kind order last month asked the budget carrier Spicejet to refund fares to the passengers after one of its flight was delayed by five hours on account of a snag.
This is the third incident involving a Jet Airways aircraft in the recent past.
On Thursday, a fire alarm in a Jet Airways flight from Delhi to Bhopal caused a scare as it was about to take off in the early hours. The ATR 72 turbo prop aircraft, operating flight 9W 2654, abandoned take off after the pilots saw the alarm on the cockpit flight panel.
Last week, in another incident, a Jet Airways flight with over 280 passengers plunged 5,000 feet while overflying Turkish airspace as the commander was asleep and the co-pilot busy with an iPad carrying flight information, leading DGCA to suspend both of them.
FROM OUTLOOKAviationThe skies turn friendlier as foreign airlines wake up to the potential of the Indian business traveller...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBLondon DiaryThis time it has nothing to do with the Hinkley numore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESFarnborough (UK), Jul 23 (PTI) Keeping in view themore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'