'JDS Leaders Willing to Support Cong Can Join Either Party'
Former Prime Minister and JDS leader H D Deve Gowda today said those party leaders willing to support Congress in the August 21 Assembly bypoll to Shikaripura constituency could either join any of the two national parties or remain in JDS and work to strengthen it.
"The leaders who have expressed willingness to support Congress for the bypoll have two options before them... Either join any of the two national parties or remain in the party. It is for them to decide on this," he told reporters here.
Speculations are rife that three JDS leaders, Madhu Bangarppa, Chelavurayaswamy and Zameer Ahmed Khan, have been cosying up to the Congress.
Gowda's remark comes in the wake of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's claim on August 13 that local JDS leaders had expressed willingness to support Congress in the bypoll with an aim to unseat BJP.
Gowda said the other option before the leaders was to remain in the party and work to strengthen it at the grass roots level.
"If they are unwilling to leave the party, then they can attend JDS office-bearers' meet tomorrow, where talks will be held to strengthen the party in the state," he said.
JDS would remain strong even if some leaders desert it as it is not a father-son party but a cadre-based one, Gowda said.
"The party has seen many ups and downs in the past. We came back strongly in the last Assembly elections with 40 seats," he said.
On the cash-for-seat controversy, Gowda said he had no information on it.
His son and former Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy was embroiled in the controversy after release of an audio CD last month about him purportedly telling supporters of MLC seat aspirant Vijugouda Patil, a JDS leader from Bijapur district, about demand for money from his party MLAs.
In the CD, whose clips were played on Kannada TV channels, Kumaraswamy was purportedly heard telling supporters of Patil, "Each MLA (of JDS) is asking for one crore. They are saying you make anybody the MLC..."
At another point, Kumaraswamy is heard saying "40 people (JDS MLAs) are asking for 40 crore... This is my fate."
Countering the charges, Gowda alleged that some BJP and Congress members in the Upper House had indulged in corruption to get themselves elected.
"People also have witnessed money being used to purchase elected members even in Parliament. So tell me which party has not indulged in it?" he asked.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBPoliticsFormer Uttar Pradesh Congress President Rita Bahugmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'