Jaya Announces Slew of Projects to Upgrade Infra in Coimbatore
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today announced a slew of projects worth more than Rs 2,000 crores which would bring new amenities and infrastructure upgradation in the industrial and textile city of Coimbatore.
The projects announced include 2,912 houses for homeless poor at a cost of Rs 443.55 crore, under-ground drainage and storm water drains in extended areas of city corporation at an estimated cost of Rs 1,555 crore and a Rs 125 crore new integrated bus terminus.
She had ordered these projects in continuation of various infrastructure schemes undertaken in the last three years keeping in view the growing population of Coimbatore, the second big city in the state after Chennai, Jayalalithaa said in a release here.
"A project to recycle building waste (refuse) into useful articles will be implemented for the first time in Tamil Nadu at an estimated cost of Rs.12.80 crore," she said.
New buildings for 12 health centres at a cost of Rs 7.04 cr, development of 20 health centres and setting up of a new centre would be taken up in Coimbatore, she said.
To decongest traffic, a semi-circular road would come up by linking several important roads like Mettupalayam Road, Sathyamangalam and Tiruchi roads, she said.
A multi-level parking lot will be set up in three places, including busy localities of Town Hall and Gandhipuram. This will be implemented with private participation at a cost of Rs 80 crore and a project estimate was being prepared.
The new integrated bus terminus will be set up at Vellalore at a cost of Rs 125 crore and a project report will be prepared for setting up a truck terminus.
A tunnel will be formed at a cost of Rs 100 crore in Periyakomban and Kattal Hills to facilitate a third drinking water project for the city.
Allocation of Rs 60 crore for repairing damaged roads was also among the initiatives announced by Jayalalithaa.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10