Jaya Announces Slew of Projects to Upgrade Infra in Coimbatore
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today announced a slew of projects worth more than Rs 2,000 crores which would bring new amenities and infrastructure upgradation in the industrial and textile city of Coimbatore.
The projects announced include 2,912 houses for homeless poor at a cost of Rs 443.55 crore, under-ground drainage and storm water drains in extended areas of city corporation at an estimated cost of Rs 1,555 crore and a Rs 125 crore new integrated bus terminus.
She had ordered these projects in continuation of various infrastructure schemes undertaken in the last three years keeping in view the growing population of Coimbatore, the second big city in the state after Chennai, Jayalalithaa said in a release here.
"A project to recycle building waste (refuse) into useful articles will be implemented for the first time in Tamil Nadu at an estimated cost of Rs.12.80 crore," she said.
New buildings for 12 health centres at a cost of Rs 7.04 cr, development of 20 health centres and setting up of a new centre would be taken up in Coimbatore, she said.
To decongest traffic, a semi-circular road would come up by linking several important roads like Mettupalayam Road, Sathyamangalam and Tiruchi roads, she said.
A multi-level parking lot will be set up in three places, including busy localities of Town Hall and Gandhipuram. This will be implemented with private participation at a cost of Rs 80 crore and a project estimate was being prepared.
The new integrated bus terminus will be set up at Vellalore at a cost of Rs 125 crore and a project report will be prepared for setting up a truck terminus.
A tunnel will be formed at a cost of Rs 100 crore in Periyakomban and Kattal Hills to facilitate a third drinking water project for the city.
Allocation of Rs 60 crore for repairing damaged roads was also among the initiatives announced by Jayalalithaa.
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED