Jaya Announces Slew of Projects to Upgrade Infra in Coimbatore
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today announced a slew of projects worth more than Rs 2,000 crores which would bring new amenities and infrastructure upgradation in the industrial and textile city of Coimbatore.
The projects announced include 2,912 houses for homeless poor at a cost of Rs 443.55 crore, under-ground drainage and storm water drains in extended areas of city corporation at an estimated cost of Rs 1,555 crore and a Rs 125 crore new integrated bus terminus.
She had ordered these projects in continuation of various infrastructure schemes undertaken in the last three years keeping in view the growing population of Coimbatore, the second big city in the state after Chennai, Jayalalithaa said in a release here.
"A project to recycle building waste (refuse) into useful articles will be implemented for the first time in Tamil Nadu at an estimated cost of Rs.12.80 crore," she said.
New buildings for 12 health centres at a cost of Rs 7.04 cr, development of 20 health centres and setting up of a new centre would be taken up in Coimbatore, she said.
To decongest traffic, a semi-circular road would come up by linking several important roads like Mettupalayam Road, Sathyamangalam and Tiruchi roads, she said.
A multi-level parking lot will be set up in three places, including busy localities of Town Hall and Gandhipuram. This will be implemented with private participation at a cost of Rs 80 crore and a project estimate was being prepared.
The new integrated bus terminus will be set up at Vellalore at a cost of Rs 125 crore and a project report will be prepared for setting up a truck terminus.
A tunnel will be formed at a cost of Rs 100 crore in Periyakomban and Kattal Hills to facilitate a third drinking water project for the city.
Allocation of Rs 60 crore for repairing damaged roads was also among the initiatives announced by Jayalalithaa.
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Save the Children-Supported Syria Maternity Hospital Bombed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED