Jawans Prepared to Respond to Ceasefire Violations: Jaitley
In a strong message to Pakistan, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley today asserted that Indian armed forces are fully prepared to respond to any ceasefire violation by it
"Our jawans are fully prepared to respond to any ceasefire violations by Pakistan," the Defence Minister said in a Facebook post after his visit to border posts in Amritsar in Punjab.
In Amritsar for a day, he visited the Kasowal BN enclave in Dera Baba Nanak sector and interacted with Army and BSF jawans guarding the International Border.
His comments on ceasefire violations comes on a day when Pakistan troops resorted to heavy mortar shelling and fired with automatic weapons at 20 Border Out Posts and civilian areas along the International Border in Jammu sector, leaving a villager injured.
This is the 11th ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops along LoC and IB in Jammu region during the past 10 days and the 12th in August this year.
Against the backdrop of repeated ceasefire violations in recent weeks and strongly disapproving the invitation by Pakistan High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit to all the Kashmiri separatist leaders "for consultations" in Delhi, India today called off the Foreign Secretary-level talks in Islamabad slated for August 25.
An Army release in Chandigarh said the Defence Minister motivated the troops and announced incentives for those deployed on the forward posts.
Jaitley was accompanied by Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, Western Army Commander Lt Gen K J Singh and 11 Corps Commander Lt General N P Singh Hira.
He also visited Headquarters of 'Panther Division,' where he was given a "comprehensive briefing" on the overall dynamics of Western Sector, including operational preparedness, the release said.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Yogeshwar's London Games Bronze Upgraded to Silver
- Trump Floats Conspiracy Theory of Huma's Terrorist Links
- Curfew Lifted From Pulwama, Situation in Kashmir Improving
- Three Hurt in Suicide Blast at China's Kyrgyzstan Embassy
- Bengal Assembly Passes Motion Against Centre's 'Discrimination'
- Small Group Holding Majority to Ransom: Parrikar on Kashmir
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- 'The Australian' to Take Down Published Scorpene Documents
- About 25 PAAS Members Detained Ahead of PM's Gujarat Visit
- Haji Ali Dargah Management Holds Deliberations Before Moving SC
- BJP Members Protest Over 'Derogatory' Remarks Against Modi
- Maharashtra: Man Held for Raping Minor Girl
- Djokovic Beats Scare, Nadal Eases at Revamped US Open
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED