Japan Landslide: 46 Dead, Search for Survivors Continues
The death toll from devastating landslides in western Japan rose to 46 today, as rescuers worked around the clock to comb through destroyed houses searching for survivors.
Local police said they cannot confirm the whereabouts of 41 local residents in the disaster-hit area of Hiroshima, where heavy rain early Wednesday triggered landslides that swallowed dozens of homes.
The rain had stopped this morning, but nearly 3,000 rescuers, soldiers and police officers remained wary, with meteorologists predicting another heavy downpour by evening.
The city government was upholding evacuation orders for more than 4,500 local residents amid fears of fresh landslides.
Emergency officials found six more bodies today, bringing the toll to 46, a Hiroshima police spokesman said.
Confusion has reigned over the number of people potentially trapped in the debris as authorities continue to receive new reports of missing people, while some individuals believed lost were found alive at emergency shelters.
Local officials fear even more people could be unaccounted for, buried by the mud and not yet reported missing.
Firefighters and soldiers removed debris by hand where they could, cautious of using heavy machinery amid hopes of finding survivors.
Rain has complicated the search efforts in the area, where the hillsides are made of decomposed granite -- a coarse sand-like material that is used for driveways and paths, and which occurs naturally in this part of Japan.
For hours yesterday, rescue workers had to suspend their operations when the shape of the mountains appeared to change, heralding a possible new landslip.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman