Jammu-Srinagar Highway Closed Due to Landslides
The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was closed for vehicular traffic for second consecutive day today due to landslides at various places in Jammu region of the state.
The highway is closed for second day today, police said, adding, traffic on the highway was suspended due to landslides, washing of road patches, and flooding at various places yesterday.
Due to closure of the road, 1200 vehicles, including passenger vehicles, were stranded on the highway, they said.
Men and machines of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) were working to clear the highway, police said.
There are also over a dozen inter-district roads closed due to landslides, washing of roads, breaches and sinking of roads and flooding in Doda, Kishtwar, Ramban, Samba, Jammu, Udhampur, Reasi, Rajouri, Poonch, and Kathua districts of Jammu region, they added.
Police has also asked the people to avoid travelling for the next couple of days on roads in various flood-hit areas.
Heavy to moderate rains have been witnessed in the state since intervening night of September 2 and 3 resulting loss of life and properties and closure of almost all the roads.
Rainfall continued throughout the night till today morning in Jammu and in mountainous districts, making the rescue operation difficult, police said.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageDebt trapped Vijesh Chaturvedi of Rewa district inmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Legendary Artist S.H. Raza Dies at 94
- Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Lifted From Four Districts
- Chennai: Search Continues for Missing IAF Plane
- Kohli Scores Double Ton as India Take Upper Hand
- Clinton Picks Senator Tim Kaine as VP Running Mate
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Tilak Remembered on Centenary of 'Swaraj My Birthright' Slogan
- Obama Hits Out at Trump's Campaign Rhetoric
- India Makes First Contribution to UN Trust Fund
- Bihar: FIR Lodged in the Beating of Dalits in Muzaffarpur
- Democratic VP Pick Kaine a Friend of India: Indian-Americans
- MP: Three-Yr-Old Boy Falls into 150-Ft Deep Borewell
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED