Jammu-Srinagar Highway Closed Due to Landslides
The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was closed for vehicular traffic for second consecutive day today due to landslides at various places in Jammu region of the state.
The highway is closed for second day today, police said, adding, traffic on the highway was suspended due to landslides, washing of road patches, and flooding at various places yesterday.
Due to closure of the road, 1200 vehicles, including passenger vehicles, were stranded on the highway, they said.
Men and machines of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) were working to clear the highway, police said.
There are also over a dozen inter-district roads closed due to landslides, washing of roads, breaches and sinking of roads and flooding in Doda, Kishtwar, Ramban, Samba, Jammu, Udhampur, Reasi, Rajouri, Poonch, and Kathua districts of Jammu region, they added.
Police has also asked the people to avoid travelling for the next couple of days on roads in various flood-hit areas.
Heavy to moderate rains have been witnessed in the state since intervening night of September 2 and 3 resulting loss of life and properties and closure of almost all the roads.
Rainfall continued throughout the night till today morning in Jammu and in mountainous districts, making the rescue operation difficult, police said.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED