Jadugoda Uranium Mining Area Safe: UCIL to Court
State-owned Uranium Corporation of India Limited today told the Jharkhand High Court that the UCIL’s mining area at Jadugoda is safe even as the court asked details of safety measures being taken by it.
The Corporation made the submission after the court recently took cognisance of a newspaper report that the waste of Jadugoda uranium mines are allegedly dumped in different ditches and ponds or in the mined area, causing health hazard to the inhabitants around the area and that drinking water was allegedly contaminated.
Representing on behalf of the public sector, advocate V Shivnath and Assistant Solicitor Mokhtar Khan informed the division bench, headed by Chief Justice R Banumathi, that the mining area is quite safe and the Corporation is quite vigilant on this front.
Further stating that the site has been inspected by a team of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board which found the mining area safe, the counsel submitted the UCIL has taken all steps to check radiation effects.
There are about 50,000 employees in the UCIL at Jadugoda and none has shown any sign of radiation effect, they said.
The court directed the UCIL to keep a vigil on safety issues and directed it to take all possible measures so that no one is affected by radiation.
It also asked the Corporation to produce details of safety measures being taken by central/state governments or the UCIL on the next date of the case after 3 months.
FROM OUTLOOKEnvironmentThe Gujarat High Court orders the closure of about 1,500 industrial units in the state for violating pollution...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBView From BritainThis is how, in a democracy, you win when you&rsqumore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 18 (PTI) In a bid to preserve the emore from WIRES>>>
- MHA Lodges FIR in Ishrat Jahan Missing Files Case
- Controversy Shrouds Akhilesh Yadav's Sept 26 Ministry Expansion
- Only Through Peace and Harmony Can Problems Be Resolved: PM
- Now, Uber, Ola Start Taxi Services for Govt Officers
- J&K: Curfew Imposed in Kishtwar Town
- Police Capture Gunman in US Mall Shooting That Killed Five
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Sons, Brothers And The Samajwadi
- What Power Hath a Mosquito? Let Delhi Tell You
- Let Your Kids Cuddle Modi To Sleep
- Shooting in Baltimore, Eight People Injured
- China: 12 Killed, Over 30 Injured in Bus-Truck Collision
- Bangladesh to Erect Barbed Wire Fence on Indo-Bangla Border
- Long War Has Been Forced on India by Pakistan: Amit Shah
- Doctors Divided Over Debate on Chikungunya Deaths in Delhi
- Fresh Petition in SC Against Grant of Bail to Shahabuddin
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED