Jadugoda Uranium Mining Area Safe: UCIL to Court
State-owned Uranium Corporation of India Limited today told the Jharkhand High Court that the UCIL’s mining area at Jadugoda is safe even as the court asked details of safety measures being taken by it.
The Corporation made the submission after the court recently took cognisance of a newspaper report that the waste of Jadugoda uranium mines are allegedly dumped in different ditches and ponds or in the mined area, causing health hazard to the inhabitants around the area and that drinking water was allegedly contaminated.
Representing on behalf of the public sector, advocate V Shivnath and Assistant Solicitor Mokhtar Khan informed the division bench, headed by Chief Justice R Banumathi, that the mining area is quite safe and the Corporation is quite vigilant on this front.
Further stating that the site has been inspected by a team of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board which found the mining area safe, the counsel submitted the UCIL has taken all steps to check radiation effects.
There are about 50,000 employees in the UCIL at Jadugoda and none has shown any sign of radiation effect, they said.
The court directed the UCIL to keep a vigil on safety issues and directed it to take all possible measures so that no one is affected by radiation.
It also asked the Corporation to produce details of safety measures being taken by central/state governments or the UCIL on the next date of the case after 3 months.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10