Israel to Continue Offensive Till Hamas Tunnels Destroyed
Israel today rejected global appeals to stop its military offensive in Gaza and said it will not agree to any ceasefire until the tunnels built by Hamas have been destroyed even as the death toll in the 24-day conflict neared 1,400.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel is determined to destroy all the tunnels built by Hamas to infiltrate into its territory.
"I wont agree to any proposal that will not enable the Israeli military to finish this important task, for the sake of Israel's security," he said despite facing international criticism for mounting civilian death in Gaza.
Speaking prior to a security cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said that Israel Defence Forces (IDF) soldiers were currently finishing off the job of destroying tunnels.
"We have destroyed dozens of tunnels and we will finish the rest with or without a ceasefire," the Israeli Premier emphasised.
His comments came after the Israeli security cabinet last night approved continuing with 'Operation Protective Edge' launched on July 8.
It mobilised another 16,000 reservists to widen the offensive. The new call-up takes the total number of reserves in the conflict to 86,000.
Netanyahu claimed that Israeli troops had destroyed "thousands of terror sites" and "hundreds of terrorists had been killed".
The Israeli Prime Minister also called on the citizens to stand together during these tense and tough times.
Despite the decision to press ahead with the operation, Israel has also sent a delegation to Egypt, which along with the US has failingly tried to broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
The conflict has claimed the lives of more than 1,395 Palestinians - most of them civilians - and reduced entire Gaza neighborhoods to ruins, Palestinians officials said.
At least 31 people were killed today in Israeli airstrikes in central and southern Gaza.
Some 58 Israelis have been killed, 56 soldiers and two civilians. A Thai worker in Israel has also died.
Israel began the offensive with a goal to stop rocket barrages coming out of Gaza but later broadened its mandate to destroy Hamas' network of tunnels, some of which have been used by the militants to carry out crossborder attacks inside Israel.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan