Irish Writer Beats Jhumpa Lahiri to Win Top UK Prize
First-time Irish novelist Eimear McBride beat five other authors including Pulitzer Prize winning Indian American writer Jhumpa Lahiri to win this year's Baileys Prize, the UK's only annual book award for fiction written by a woman.
McBride's debut A Girl is a Half-formed Thing tells the story of a young woman's relationship with her brother and the long shadow cast by his childhood brain tumour.
Helen Fraser, chair of judges, said of McBride's novel, "An amazing and ambitious first novel that impressed the judges with its inventiveness and energy. This is an extraordinary new voice - this novel will move and astonish the reader."
Lahiri was shortlisted for her novel The Lowland. The other four shortlisted books were Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria), Burial Rites by Hannah Kent (Australia), The Undertaking by Audrey Magee (Ireland) and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (the US).
The awards ceremony took place here yesterday. Hosted by best-selling novelist and co-founder of the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction Kate Mosse, 2014 chair of judges Fraser presented Eimear with the 30,000 pounds prize and the 'Bessie', a limited edition bronze figurine, both of which are anonymously endowed.
The award, earlier known as the Orange Prize, was set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote international fiction by women throughout the world to the widest range of readers possible. Any woman writing in English - whatever her nationality, country of residence, age or subject matter - is eligible.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village