Iraqi Forces Retake Control of Mosul Dam
Iraqi security forces and Kurdish fighters today wrested back control of the country's largest dam from the hands of Islamic militants who captured it less than two weeks ago, an army spokesman in Baghdad said.
The development marks the first major victory for Iraqi and Kurdish troops since US airstrikes began earlier this month and could significantly boost their morale as they try to free territory overrun by the Islamic State group in a blitz this summer.
The Mosul Dam spanning the Tigris River just north of Iraq's second-largest city of Mosul and its broader complex hold great strategic value as they supply electricity and water to a large part of the country.
Alarmed by the militants advance, the US and Iraqi airstrikes pounded the area in the past two days. The US military said US forces conducted nine strikes on Saturday and another 16 on Sunday in efforts to help the Iraqis retake the dam.
Army spokesman Lt. Gen. Qassim al-Moussawi told The Associated Press that Kurdish peshmerga forces and Iraqi anti-terrorism troops "fully liberated" the dam today and "hoisted the Iraqi flag over it."
Al-Mousawi added that the troops were backed by a joint aerial support, but he didn't specify whether there were any US airstrikes in the area of the dam today.
Local residents and others in the area could not immediately be contacted to confirm the security forces' recapture of the dam.
The US launched airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Iraq more than a week ago in a bid to halt its advance across the north.
But the Sunni militants remain in control of vast swaths of northern and western Iraq, including the city of Mosul, as well as much of northeastern Syria.
Some 1.5 million people have been displaced by fighting in Iraq since the Islamic State's rapid advance began in June.
The scale of the humanitarian crisis prompted the UN to declare its highest level of emergency lasts week.
The decision to launch airstrikes marked the first direct US military intervention in Iraq since the last American troops withdrew in 2011 and reflected growing international concern about the extremist group.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'