Iran Provided Weapons to Iraq's Kurds: Massud Barzani
Iran was the first country to provide Iraq's embattled autonomous Kurdish region with weapons to fight off jihadist-led militants, president Massud Barzani said today.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran was the first state to help us...And it provided us with weapons and equipment," Barzani said at a joint news conference with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
Militants led by the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group launched a major offensive in June that overran large areas of Iraq, and began a renewed push earlier this month that saw Kurdish forces pushed back towards their regional capital of Arbil.
The Kurdish setbacks sparked a campaign of US air strikes in northern Iraq and an international effort to provide them with arms and ammunition, and they have since managed to claw back some territory from the militants.
Zarif, who arrived in Iraq on Sunday, reiterated his assertion that while Iran is supporting its neighbour to the west, it is not doing so with forces on the ground.
There have been reports of Iranian forces fighting in Iraq, and despite Zarif's denial, evidence points to a more direct military role by Tehran.
State media reported that an Iranian pilot was killed fighting in Iraq, and several Iranian Su-25 warplanes are also in the country.
- Aziz Says 'Insufficient Evidence' On Indian Spy, Pak Denies
- Triple Talaq 'Cruel' And 'Most Demeaning', Says Allahabad HC
- Stranded Tourists On Andaman & Nicobar Islands Safe: Rajnath Singh
- 'Devil Of The Year': How Twitter Is Reacting To Latest TIME Magazine Cover
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Modi Is Now Seen As Messiah Of Poor And Honest: BJP
- Old Notes Invalid For Rail, Metro, Bus Tickets From Dec 10
- India To Become 'Major Defence Partner' Of US
- Churning On In AIADMK Over Who Will Step Into Amma's Shoes
- Demonetisation Is An 'Effective Step' In Curbing Corruption, Says Arvind Panagaria
- PM Singularly Responsible For Economic Mess: CPI(M)
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED