IPL Scam: Sourav Ganguly Joins Mudgal Panel
Former India captain Sourav Ganguly today joined the Supreme Court-appointed Mudgal committee, which is probing the IPL betting and spot-fixing scandal, as an expert on cricketing affairs.
The panel is headed by Retd Justice Mukul Mudgal and includes advocates L Nageswara Rao, Niloy Dutta and senior IPS officer B B Mishra.
"We had requested Sourav Ganguly to join the IPL probe panel and he has agreed to join us in the investigations. I had telephoned Sourav and he confirmed me about coming on board. We haven't yet decided on the day when we will meet," Justice Mudgal told PTI today.
"Since our committee member L Nageswara Rao was not present today, we couldn't fix the date of our next meeting. We will let you know when the committee meets next," he added.
The Supreme Court had directed the probe committee to select a cricketer of 'impeccable integrity' who would help the committee on the cricketing matters related to IPL betting and spot-fixing.
The expose led to arrests of former CSK team principal Gurunath Meiyappan as well as India discard S Sreesanth, first-class cricketers Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila along with Bollywood actor Vindoo Dara Singh to name a few.
Ganguly's name was doing the rounds for quite some time as he is one of the contemporary cricketers having played in IPL till 2012. He is conversant with the modern day game and has an unquestionable reputation when it comes to integrity.
That he galvanised a side after the match-fixing saga of 2000 is also something that the Indian public still remembers.
Actively doing commentary as well as writing columns, the Prince of Kolkata will be allowed to carry on with his media commitments.
"He is absolutely free to carry on with his media commitments. His job is to help us with the role of cricketing angle in the whole issue, and it does not stop him from doing commentary and writing columns," Mudgal said.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman