Insurance Bill Further Delayed, Informal Talks On
The Insurance Bill is not coming up in the Rajya Sabha tomorrow as the deadlock continues over referring it to the select committee despite Modi government's efforts to rally the Opposition for bringing on track its first major economic reform initiative.
As the Opposition stuck to its stand, government sought their cooperation for passage of the "most progressive reform" at a time when penetration of insurance was very low.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu told PTI that government was ready to accept any meaningful suggestion from the opposition and was awaiting their response after yesterday's meeting to thrash out consensus.
"Country needs investment and in larger interest of the country and for betterment of economy the Bill is needed as people's interest are paramount," he said, making a pitch for early passage.
Informal consultations took place today between Naidu, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Congress leader Anand Sharma.
Naidu said the Bill has already been through the Standing Committee, which had deliberated on it for long.
He said the government would not have clamoured for foreign investment if resources were available domestically.
When told that parties like Congress have problems over the FII provision in the Bill, Naidu said: "Whatever is their concern they should say it. I hope they will come back and there would be meeting of minds."
Naidu's remarks came even as opposition parties insisted on referring the first major economic reform initiative of the Narendra Modi government to a select committee.
The Insurance Laws Amendment Bill was introduced in the Rajya Sabha in 2008. The Bill seeks to raise foreign investment cap in the sector to 49 per cent, with management control in the hands of Indian promoters. At present 26 per cent FDI is allowed in insurance.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events