Indo-US Relations Not Just Limited to Millitary Ties: Hagel
Ahead of his first visit to India, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has said the US is looking for new partners and relationships in Asia Pacific region which represents both opportunities and challenges.
On the eve of his first three-day visit to India, Hagel said at a meeting in Germany yesterday that he was visiting the largest democratic country of the world to build relationship and not just military to military ties.
"In India, I'm going to follow John Kerry's visit and our Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker's visit - they were there about a week ago and attempt to try to continue to build, not just a stronger military-to-military relationship with the Indians," Hagel said.
He said both the countries had varied and common interests that incude stability, security, economics, possibilities and freedom.
"India represents the largest democracy in the world. They just had an election. They have a new government. The new prime minister is coming to Washington to see President Obama next month. So I'll be there, working, yes, our specific issues, but it's larger than that," he said.
"When we look at Asia-Pacific, area of operation too represents tremendous new opportunities, but challenges as well. We need partners. We need relationships. That's the kind of world we live in, and that's the kind of world that we're going to be living in," he said.
Defence deals worth over Rs 20,000 crore, intelligence sharing on counter-terrorist activities and steps to strengthen military ties are expected to be discussed during the visit.
During his visit, Hagel is scheduled to hold meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Defence Ministry officials said.
The issue of intelligence sharing and discussions on deals for procuring 22 Apache attack helicopters, 15 Chinook heavy-lift choppers along with four P-8I anti-submarine warfare aircraft is expected to come up for discussion in the meetings.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10