Indian Found Guilty in US Visa Fraud
A 41-year old Indian has pleaded guilty for running an eight-year long visa fraud scheme to facilitate the illegal entry of Indian immigrants in the US by sponsoring their visa applications and falsely claiming to provide employment for them in the country.
Sandipkumar Patel of Edison, New Jersey, pleaded guilty before US District Judge William Walls of the District of New Jersey to conspiring to defraud the US and to filing a false federal income tax return.
He will be sentenced in January next year, Assistant Attorney General Leslie Caldwell of the Justice Department's Criminal Division said in a statement.
According to court documents filed with the plea agreement, Patel sponsored visa applications of Indian nationals from 2001 to 2009 by falsely claiming to provide employment for them in the US. He falsely certified on the visa applications that he would employ the immigrants in various technical fields at several New Jersey companies, facilitating their illegal entry into the country.
Over the course of the scheme, immigrants paid Patel thousands of dollars for the false certifications to secure their visas. Patel issued payroll cheques and other payroll forms as a cover-up for his scheme. The Indian nationals were then required to reimburse Patel for his payroll tax expenses.
He used the fraudulent payroll cheques to support false applications to extend the visas and charged the immigrants fees for the visa extensions.
As a result of falsely carrying the immigrant employees on his payrolls, Patel overstated his payroll expenses on his federal income tax returns by more than 1.4 million dollars over four years and under-reported his tax obligation by over 400,000 dollars for those years.
- ED Issues Fresh Summons to Zakir Naik in Money Laundering Case
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- Would Have Been Better Had BJP Given Tickets To Muslims In Uttar Pradesh, Says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- DU Girl Gurmehar Kaur Moves DCW Over 'Rape' Threats From ABVP Members
- ONGC May Acquire India's 3rd Largest Fuel Retailer HPCL For A Whopping Rs 44,000 Crore
- At Least 20 Children Injured After School Bus Overturns In Kanpur
- Commission Says Counterfeiters And Hackers Cost The US Close To 600 Billion A Year
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events