Indian Found Guilty in US Visa Fraud
A 41-year old Indian has pleaded guilty for running an eight-year long visa fraud scheme to facilitate the illegal entry of Indian immigrants in the US by sponsoring their visa applications and falsely claiming to provide employment for them in the country.
Sandipkumar Patel of Edison, New Jersey, pleaded guilty before US District Judge William Walls of the District of New Jersey to conspiring to defraud the US and to filing a false federal income tax return.
He will be sentenced in January next year, Assistant Attorney General Leslie Caldwell of the Justice Department's Criminal Division said in a statement.
According to court documents filed with the plea agreement, Patel sponsored visa applications of Indian nationals from 2001 to 2009 by falsely claiming to provide employment for them in the US. He falsely certified on the visa applications that he would employ the immigrants in various technical fields at several New Jersey companies, facilitating their illegal entry into the country.
Over the course of the scheme, immigrants paid Patel thousands of dollars for the false certifications to secure their visas. Patel issued payroll cheques and other payroll forms as a cover-up for his scheme. The Indian nationals were then required to reimburse Patel for his payroll tax expenses.
He used the fraudulent payroll cheques to support false applications to extend the visas and charged the immigrants fees for the visa extensions.
As a result of falsely carrying the immigrant employees on his payrolls, Patel overstated his payroll expenses on his federal income tax returns by more than 1.4 million dollars over four years and under-reported his tax obligation by over 400,000 dollars for those years.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10