Indian Cricketers Have Embarrassed the Country: Gavaskar
Batting great Sunil Gavaskar today said Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his boys have "embarrassed" the country with their "jelly-like" resistance in the Test series against England and even suggested that those not interested in playing longer-format should quit the Test team.
India suffered yet another humiliating defeat as they lost the fifth Test by an innings and 244 runs.
"If you do not want to be playing Test cricket for India, quit. Just play limited-overs cricket. You should not be embarrassing your country like that," Gavaskar said in BBC Radio's Test Match Special show.
Gavaskar though said England should be cautious for future series since this win has come against an Indian side which did not play tough cricket.
"Everything about England has been top-class. But, India have shown jelly-like resistance. Therefore, England should not get carried away because there are sterner tests to come," he said.
Commenting in the same programme, former England captain Michael Vaughan questioned Indian players' commitment.
"It's a disgrace to think that India have been blown away in 29 overs under blue skies on a pitch that was only doing a bit. They should be embarrassed. Some of those strokes were of players who didn't want to fight for their country," Vaughan said.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBNEWS ANALYSISUnpredictable in politics as in cricket, Navjot Simore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- PM Should Also be Suspended for 'Inviting ISI to Pathankot': Mann
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- 'Pained' by Una Episode, Many Dalits Plan to Embrace Buddhism
- British PM May Calls Sharif to Discuss Ties
- Child Labour Bill a Missed Opportunity for Children: Satyarthi
- Govt Holds Meet With RSS Affiliates Over Key Economic Issues
- HC Seeks Centre's Report on Use of Pellet Guns in Kashmir
- Psychological Warfare on Social Media Our New Threat: Rathore
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED