Indian Childless Couples Prefer Adopting Girls Over Boys
Delhi-based Sharma family has been on cloud nine ever since they adopted a girl child after a long wait of 12 months.
There are many childless couples like them who are opting for a girl child over a boy, suggesting a trend of changing mindsets in India, according to NGOs who facilitate adoption.
Their claim is also supported by Ministry of Women and Child Development data. As many as 641 orphaned children were adopted between April and June this year by Indian couples of which 375 were girls, the data says.
As per an in-country adoption data submitted in the Lok Sabha today, highest number of girl children were adopted by childless couples in Andhra Pradesh (58) followed by Karnataka (50) and Tamil Nadu (40).
Similarly, between April 2013 and March this year, a total of 3,924 children were adopted out of which 2,293 were girls.
Of these, 525 girls were adopted by childless couples in Maharashtra, while 221 girl children were adopted in West Bengal and 203 in Andhra Pradesh.
Even in Delhi, 107 girl children were adopted against 49 boys during the same period.
"Families feel that taking a girl child home is like taking home an old age emotional security as girls care more for their parents as compared to the sons. Also, according to them, girls develop a deeper bonding with parents compared to a son.
"Now a days, parents are not dependent on their children and so they want to feel the joy of having a kid and don't think about gender. Then there are feelings of the blessings that one gets from 'kanyadaan'," said Vijaya Raina, director of SOS adoption home.
Raina cited an example of Delhi-based Sharma couple who feel blessed after adopting a girl child. "They (Sharmas) had to wait of an year. But their live has changed for good after adopting the girl child," she said.
Lauren Campos, Assistant Director of Adoption (Delhi Council for Child Welfare - Palna) said that there are couples who want to adopt a girl child for the second time.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman