Indian Charged for Forcing Dancers Into Prostitution in US
An Indian man and a Pakistani psychiatrist are among four persons who were indicted here on charges of human trafficking and hiring female dancers in India and forcing them into prostitution and making them dance at nightclubs.
Rashmikant Patel, Riyaz Mazcuri, Sabja Khimani and Mehmood Hassanali Dhanani have been charged with four counts of forced labour conspiracy and visa fraud in an indictment brought by US Attorney in Manhattan Preet Bharara.
The indictment said that the group planned and committed human trafficking offences between 2008 and 2010 by hiring female dancers in India under the false pretense that they would be performing Indian cultural programmes in the US.
Once they arrived in the country, the dancers were forced to dance in nightclubs in front of crowds of men for 12 to 14 hours per night, seven nights a week, and pressuring certain performers to engage in prostitution.
The indictment said that the group confiscated the passports of the dancers once they reached the US and when they were not performing, confined them to hotel rooms and houses against their will.
The men had also made false statements in visa applications of the dancers so that the performers could enter the US.
The dancers were threatened that they would face "serious harm and physical restraint" if they did not follow the orders by the men.
The indictment also said that Patel submitted false documents and made fraudulent statements to obtain visas for the dancers.
Mazcuri, a resident of Texas was arrested last week and was released on a bond of USD 300,000. He would appear before a federal judge here later today.
A graduate of the University of Karachi in Pakistan, he has been a licensed psychiatrist in Texas since 1986.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman