India to Import 1 L Tonne Rice From Myanmar
India is going to import one lakh tonnes of rice from Myannmar to avoid supply crisis in Manipur and Mizoram as the construction work is going on the railway line connecting these two north-eastern states to other parts of the country.
In this regard, the government will float a exploratory tender on September 8 to evaluate market prices.
This will be the first time in almost three decades the country will import rice and that via road.
According to sources, 20,000 tonnes of rice will be imported per month starting October and tenders are likely to be floated by the State Trading Enterprises (STEs) on behalf of Food Corporation of India (FCI).
Despite having sufficient stocks, the government has to import rice as the work is going on to broadgauge the railway line between Lumding and Silchar in Assam, sources said adding this route connects Manipur and Mizoram to the rest of the country.
To meet the requirements of these states, which have deficient paddy production, the FCI will have to move the grains via road ranging 400-600 kms.
"There is only one national highway 44 from Guwahati, which connects with these states, and moving grains via road is challenging because of hilly terrains and land-slide prone areas," a source said.
Considering all these aspects, there is a need to have supplementary stock to avoid any supply crisis in these areas, therefore it has been decided to import rice from Myannmar, which is well connected via road to Manipur and Mizoaram, sources said. Moreover, the neighbouring country also has surplus stocks, they added.
These North-Eastern states have deficient paddy production and in order to meet the requirement, FCI moves rice mainly from Punjab and Chattisgarh to Guwahati in Assam and from there to other parts in the region.
As on August 16, the country had 184.62 lakh tonnes of rice against the buffer stock of 72 lakh tonnes on October 1 this year. In addition to this, 74 lakh tonnes of unmilled paddy is also available in the country.
FROM OUTLOOKmmtc: coal importsThe tender process for a Rs 6,000-cr coal import contract is tweaked to suit a bidder...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBNews AnalysisAs global oil prices hover near $30/barrel, a 12-ymore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIndia has banned import of toys from China, in a smore from WIRES>>>
- Herald Case: Notice Issued to Sonia, Rahul on Swamy's Petition
- WB: Two Die as Fire Breaks Out in Murshidabad Hospital
- PM Trying to Reverse AAP Govt's Decisions Through LG: Kejriwal
- Give Me One Chance: Mehbooba Appeals to Protesters
- Dhaka Cafe Attack 'Mastermind', 2 Others Killed in Encounter
- Nude Monk Delivers 'Kadve Vachan' in Haryana Assembly
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Chhotepur Rejects Panel, Dares AAP to Make Bribe Video Public
- Woman Raped, Attacked With Acid in Kanpur
- Universities Should Be Bastions of Free Speech, Debate: Prez
- WB: Flood Situation Worsens in Malda, 2 Killed
- Malaysian Students Rally to Demand Prime Minister's Arrest
- Sharif Sends 22 Special Envoys to World Capitals to Highlight Kashmir Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED