India to Import 1 L Tonne Rice From Myanmar
India is going to import one lakh tonnes of rice from Myannmar to avoid supply crisis in Manipur and Mizoram as the construction work is going on the railway line connecting these two north-eastern states to other parts of the country.
In this regard, the government will float a exploratory tender on September 8 to evaluate market prices.
This will be the first time in almost three decades the country will import rice and that via road.
According to sources, 20,000 tonnes of rice will be imported per month starting October and tenders are likely to be floated by the State Trading Enterprises (STEs) on behalf of Food Corporation of India (FCI).
Despite having sufficient stocks, the government has to import rice as the work is going on to broadgauge the railway line between Lumding and Silchar in Assam, sources said adding this route connects Manipur and Mizoram to the rest of the country.
To meet the requirements of these states, which have deficient paddy production, the FCI will have to move the grains via road ranging 400-600 kms.
"There is only one national highway 44 from Guwahati, which connects with these states, and moving grains via road is challenging because of hilly terrains and land-slide prone areas," a source said.
Considering all these aspects, there is a need to have supplementary stock to avoid any supply crisis in these areas, therefore it has been decided to import rice from Myannmar, which is well connected via road to Manipur and Mizoaram, sources said. Moreover, the neighbouring country also has surplus stocks, they added.
These North-Eastern states have deficient paddy production and in order to meet the requirement, FCI moves rice mainly from Punjab and Chattisgarh to Guwahati in Assam and from there to other parts in the region.
As on August 16, the country had 184.62 lakh tonnes of rice against the buffer stock of 72 lakh tonnes on October 1 this year. In addition to this, 74 lakh tonnes of unmilled paddy is also available in the country.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman