'India Needs a Separate Financial Architecture for SMEs'
Columnist and Chartered Accountant S Gurumurthy today made a strong pitch for a separate financial architecture for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in India.
"A separate financial architecture for SMEs is necessary for the country...The government has said that it will create a separate financial architecture, we must ensure it is created," Gurumurthy said on the sidelines of an event here.
Noting that there are at least 20 million small financial institutions in India, which finances small businesses, he stresses need for banks lending to them at cheaper rate.
"...They (small financial institutions) are lending to SMEs at 36-45 per cent because they are borrowing at that rate. If banks lend to them at 10-12 per cent then they will lend at 14-15 per cent," Gurumurthy said.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his Budget speech 2014-15, had said, "SMEs form the backbone of our Economy... Financing to this sector is of critical importance, especially as it benefits the weakest sections.
"There is need to examine the financial architecture for this sector. I propose to appoint a committee with representatives from the Finance Ministry, Ministry of MSME, RBI to give concrete suggestions in three months."
Gurumurthy, who is also an Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sevak (RSS) ideologue, said that "we must actually ensure that the government provide wholesale financing and retail financing is done by a small business finance corporation, which the government should register separately".
Speaking on the occasion, National Coordinator of the Action Committee for formal finance for non corporate small business Praveen Khandelwal said, "the non corporate sector is providing employment to nearly 49 crore people in the Country which is 90 per cent of total employment in India and is also contributing 45 per cent to national GDP which is three times higher than corporate sector.
"Astonishingly only about 4 per cent people in non corporate sector are getting finance from banks and other banking institutions which is very low."
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- K.P.S. Gill: The Man Who Won The Terror Battle In Punjab
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10