India Lends Itself Well to Fictionalization: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
Eminent India-born US author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni says she writes about India because the country "lends itself to wonderful drama and conflict."
"India lends itself well to fictionalization but ultimately it all depends on the writer's imagination", she says.
Replying to a question, the author, who shifted from Kolkata to the US, says in an interview to the magazine The Equatorial Line that "in a way, immigration (to the US) made me into a writer-- it gave me the need to write in order to make sense of the tremendous changes in my life."
Divakaruni, who has penned books like Mistress of Spices (made into a Hollywood film), Oleander Girl and Sister of My Heart, says she "can't write about a place until I've lived in it a long time. I've lived in Houston for about 12 years and I'm writing about it only now."
According to the writer, her writings don't really reflect her own life. "To some extent, I draw on what I see around me; in other places, I imagine what I write."
She says "strong, complicated women are important" to her work...I hope my books will change some traditional ideas about Indian women."
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- Akhilesh Yadav Scared Of Donkeys Of Gujarat, Says PM Modi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman