India Lends Itself Well to Fictionalization: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
Eminent India-born US author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni says she writes about India because the country "lends itself to wonderful drama and conflict."
"India lends itself well to fictionalization but ultimately it all depends on the writer's imagination", she says.
Replying to a question, the author, who shifted from Kolkata to the US, says in an interview to the magazine The Equatorial Line that "in a way, immigration (to the US) made me into a writer-- it gave me the need to write in order to make sense of the tremendous changes in my life."
Divakaruni, who has penned books like Mistress of Spices (made into a Hollywood film), Oleander Girl and Sister of My Heart, says she "can't write about a place until I've lived in it a long time. I've lived in Houston for about 12 years and I'm writing about it only now."
According to the writer, her writings don't really reflect her own life. "To some extent, I draw on what I see around me; in other places, I imagine what I write."
She says "strong, complicated women are important" to her work...I hope my books will change some traditional ideas about Indian women."
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10