Income Tax case Against Jaya Adjourned to Aug 21
A local court here today adjourned to August 21 the hearing in an income tax case against Tamil Nadu chief Minister Jayalalithaa and her aide Sasikala.
When the case came up before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM), R Dakshinamurthy, counsel for Jayalalithaa and Saskikala told the court that the application for compounding the alleged offences on Income tax returns case was pending and reserved for orders before the tax authorities.
Hence, he prayed that the case be adjourned and allowing the plea, the court posted the matter to August 21.
During the previous hearing on July 24, the defence counsel apprised the court that the compounding petition was posted for hearing on July 28 by the tax authorities.
The I-T department had launched criminal proceedings against Jayalalithaa and Sasikala for allegedly not filing returns in their individual capacity for the assessment year 1993-94.
Complaints were also filed by the IT department against Sasi Enterprises represented by its partners, Jayalalithaa and Sasikala for allegedly failing to file returns for the assessment years 1991-92 and 1992-93.
Discharge petitions filed by the accused were later dismissed by the Madras High Court. Jayalalithaa and Sasikala preferred appeals before the Supreme Court. Dismissing their appeals on January 30, the apex court had directed the lower court to complete the trial in four months.
FROM OUTLOOKTax ReformsA Government committee recommends radical income tax reforms, which would drastically change tax liabilities. Strangely, that's good news...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIndia has begun the process of passing what many tmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESThe Income Tax Department is independently probingmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED