Ian Chappell Slams Dhoni as a 'Serial Offender' in India's Debacles Abroad
Slamming Mahendra Singh Dhoni as a "serial offender" in the India's Test debacles abroad, former Australia captain Ian Chappell said if the team fails to compete at full throttle then another capitulation is certain against a highly competitive Australian outfit.
"There's no disgrace in losing; it's part of cricketing life. However, what is disgraceful is failing to compete to the best of your ability and continuing to make the same mistakes. That's what India have done for the bulk of their last two visits to the UK and their most recent tour of Australia," Chappell said of India's lacklustre performances abroad.
He said the latest Indian Test debacle, the 1-3 loss to England, was worse than those previous capitulations because India achieved a monumental victory at Lord's.
"That should have been the springboard to a spirited attempt to stretch that lead but instead it became the top step on the slippery dip to oblivion," the former Australia skipper and Cricket commentator said in his column in 'ESPNcricinfo'.
"If India continue to bat, bowl and field poorly and fail to compete at full throttle under Dhoni's lacklustre captaincy, then another capitulation is certain to follow against a highly competitive Australian outfit," he said.
India's tour of Australia might be over three months away but mind games have already started with pacer Ryan Harris earlier this week saying they will not tone down their aggression and the Indians may face a brutal summer from fellow fast bowler Mitchell Johnson.
"Dhoni is a serial offender in those Indian debacles. In all three cases - the first two full series and the last three Tests of the recent capitulation - his captaincy failed to inspire the team," Chappell opined.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBKotla DiayMischief and Delhi District Cricket Association (Dmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED