IAF's Jaguar Plane Crashes Near Bhuj, Pilot Safe
A Jaguar combat aircraft of Indian Air Force today crashed near Bibber village in this district while on a routine sortie from Bhuj air base but the pilot ejected safely.
"A Jaguar fighter jet which had taken off from Bhuj air base for a routine sortie crashed near Bibber village, which is 30 kms from the base," an IAF official said.
"The pilot ejected safely and is not hurt in the mishap," he said.
Superintendent of Police, Kutch West, D N Patel said, "We have learnt that a fighter jet crashed near Bibber village of Nakhatrana taluka of Kutch. However, no casualty is reported.
"The pilot is safe," he said.
In 2013, two MIG-29 fighter planes had crashed in June and July near Gujarat's Jamnagar air base.
Twenty IAF fighter aircraft have met with accidents in the last three years, with human error and technical defects being the main reasons.
These planes are eight MiG-21s (different versions), four Jaguars, three MiG-29s, two Sukhoi SU-30MKIs, two Mirage 2000s and one MiG 27 ML.
The IAF said the crash took place at about 1206 hours 30 Kms north of Bhuj.
"The pilot, who was airborne from Bhuj at 1140 hours, was on a flying training mission and has ejected safely," an IAF statement said.
The plane belonged to the 16 Squadron of the IAF based at Bhuj and a Court of Inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident.
The aircraft was not part of the fleet of Jaguar deep penetration strike fighter jets upgraded at the HAL.
The IAF is planning to upgrade and reengine all the Jaguars and keep them in service for another 15-20 years till 2030-2035.
The aircraft were inducted in the IAF in early 1980s and their squadrons are based at Jamnagar, Bhuj, Ambala and Gorakhpur.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED