IAF's Jaguar Plane Crashes Near Bhuj, Pilot Safe
A Jaguar combat aircraft of Indian Air Force today crashed near Bibber village in this district while on a routine sortie from Bhuj air base but the pilot ejected safely.
"A Jaguar fighter jet which had taken off from Bhuj air base for a routine sortie crashed near Bibber village, which is 30 kms from the base," an IAF official said.
"The pilot ejected safely and is not hurt in the mishap," he said.
Superintendent of Police, Kutch West, D N Patel said, "We have learnt that a fighter jet crashed near Bibber village of Nakhatrana taluka of Kutch. However, no casualty is reported.
"The pilot is safe," he said.
In 2013, two MIG-29 fighter planes had crashed in June and July near Gujarat's Jamnagar air base.
Twenty IAF fighter aircraft have met with accidents in the last three years, with human error and technical defects being the main reasons.
These planes are eight MiG-21s (different versions), four Jaguars, three MiG-29s, two Sukhoi SU-30MKIs, two Mirage 2000s and one MiG 27 ML.
The IAF said the crash took place at about 1206 hours 30 Kms north of Bhuj.
"The pilot, who was airborne from Bhuj at 1140 hours, was on a flying training mission and has ejected safely," an IAF statement said.
The plane belonged to the 16 Squadron of the IAF based at Bhuj and a Court of Inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident.
The aircraft was not part of the fleet of Jaguar deep penetration strike fighter jets upgraded at the HAL.
The IAF is planning to upgrade and reengine all the Jaguars and keep them in service for another 15-20 years till 2030-2035.
The aircraft were inducted in the IAF in early 1980s and their squadrons are based at Jamnagar, Bhuj, Ambala and Gorakhpur.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village