IAF Sends C-130J Hercules to Nepal
The Indian Air Force deployed its C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft to transport a team of geologists and disaster management officials to Nepal for clearing the landslide in a river there which is threatening to cause flood in Bihar.
A C-130J Super Hercules aircraft carried out a night landing at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu on Saturday and dropped a team of Geological Survey of India, Central Water Commission and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) there to assist the Nepalese Army in clearing the landlside in a calibrated manner, IAF officials said.
The aircraft was launched at a short notice on the instructions issued by the Cabinet Secretariat to provide help to Nepal in handling the flood situation, they said.
The Special Operations aircraft used its high-end technology equipment to carry out the landing in the tricky airport, where flights do not operate after dark, they said.
The aircraft returned to India at 0330 hours on Sunday after accomplishing its assigned task, the officials said.
Meanwhile, the IAF has deployed a C-17 heavy-lift aircraft with a team of 20 doctors and a mobile hospital in Purnea to handle the flood situation.
The force has kept 14 aircraft on stand by mode to participate in relief operations, if required.
"One Ilyushin-76 transport aircraft in Chandigarh, two An-32s in Agra along with two Mi-17V5 helicopters in Gorakhpur have been kept on stand by. Four Mi-17V5s have been moved from Baghdogra in West Bengal to Purnea in Bihar for relief operations," the officials said.
A landslide in Nepal in Bhate Kosi river -- a tributary of Kosi river in Bihar, has threatened to cause floods in the state and efforts are being made to clear the blockage in the river.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman