I Have a Degree From Yale University: Smriti Irani
The controversy over HRD Minister Smriti Irani's educational qualifications has taken a new turn with her assertion that she also has a degree from the prestigious Yale University in the US.
Irani(38) made the remark when pressed by a questioner at the India Today Woman Summit 2014 here to clear the "mystery" over her educational degrees.
Soon after the Lok Sabha results were announced on May 16, Irani was at the centre of a raging controversy over her educational qualifications after it emerged that she had made contradictory declarations when she contested the parliamentary elections in 2004 and 2014.
"In that kitty of mine where people call me 'anpad'(illiterate) I do have a degree from Yale University as well which I can bring out and show how Yale celebrated by leadership capacities.
"Extraneous circumstances are being created so that I deviate my concentration from what my goals are," she said at the event yesterday. The BJP leader said she should be judged from what she delivers as a minister.
Irani did not explain what the Yale degree was but she was part of a group of Indian MPs which underwent a crash course at the Yale University, during which the elections in India, the prospects for Afghanistan and Pakistan after the US military withdrawal in 2014, the implications of political and economic transitions in China dominated.
The 11 Indian MPs came to the Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut on June 19 last year to complete a six-day leadership program with Yale faculty.
The 2013 participants were drawn from five different national and regional political parties in India, and included Irani, who was BJP vice president at that time, and her TDP counterpart C Ramesh.
In addition to BJP and TDP, there were also representatives from the Congress, Trinamool Congress and Shiv Sena.
In the academic program, the delegation participated in discussions with Yale faculty on nuclear non-proliferation; the democracy movement in the Arab world; women's empowerment; elections theory and practices; political and economic developments in China; campaign finance reform; the environmental impact of shale gas development; Afghanistan and Pakistan after 2014; pharmaceutical innovation and patent law; and climate change mitigation.
The 2013 program was held in a new partnership with the Governance and Public Policy Initiative of the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi. In all, more than 80 MPs from India have participated since the program was created eight years ago.
When pressed further at the 'India Today' event to clear the air over her educational qualifications, Irani told the questioner to file a Public Interest Litigation(PIL) if he wanted to know the truth about the poll affidavit controversy.
"Please go and file a PIL against me in court, I shall give you your answer in court to settle this once and for all," she said when asked which of the two poll affidavits she had filed in 2004 and 2014 was real.
As a candidate in 2004 elections from Chandni Chowk in Delhi, Irani had declared that she had a Bachelor of Arts(BA) degree.
"B.A. 1996 Delhi University (School of Correspondence)", she had written in the column which seeks details of University education and the year in which the course was completed.
In the same column of the affidavit filed in the 2014 elections from Amethi, Irani had said, "Bachelor of Commerce Part-1, School of Open Learning (Correspondence), University of Delhi-1994".
Reacting to Irani's Yale link, Congress asked why did she not mention this in her poll affidavit.
"And our HRD minister forgot to mention her Yale degree in her affidavit this time. But all her affidavits have had different degrees, sigh," Priyanka Chaturvedi, a Congress spokesperson, sarcastically tweeted.
"I repeat again. It's NOT about the need of educational qualifications for a minister. It's about her honesty, integrity and truthfulness," she added.
Irani had spoken about her Yale degree while anwsering questions at the India Today event after addressing the gathering on "A World of Change Why Women Need to Speak Up, Be Heard".
In a clarification tonight, an official spokesperson of the Human Resources Development (HRD) Ministry said that Irani got a "certificate" for her participation in a Yale University program.
"As an MP Mrs Irani was invited to participate in a leadership program at Yale along with MPs from various political parties of India. Her participation and presence in turn did result in her getting a 'certificate' for the said program," the spokesperson said.
BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the controversy over Irani's educational qualifications was a "non issue".
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan