Historic Chinese Church Gutted by Fire
A fire largely destroyed one of China's oldest churches early today, state media reported, gutting the inside of the late 19th century structure.
"The inside of the building is totally destroyed," a firefighter told the official Xinhua news agency after the blaze at the gothic-style Jiangbei Cathedral in Ningbo, in Zhejiang province.
"It's a great loss. The church is such a beautiful building."
No casualties were reported, the report said, and an investigation was under way.
It comes after authorities in April demolished a church in a heavily Christian area of Wenzhou, also in Zhejiang, in eastern China, after they said it was an illegal structure.
The Ningbo cathedral, constructed by a French bishop in 1872, is an important cultural relic protected by the state "for its great historical and architectural value", Xinhua said.
The agency quoted a member of the church's staff as saying that the fire began at the altar, although the man, who was staying in the building, did not know how it began.
The destruction of the Wenzhou church was seen as highlighting tensions between a rapidly growing number of Christian worshippers and China's officially atheist Communist Party-run government.
The ruling party keeps a tight grip on religion for fear it could challenge its grip on power, requiring followers to worship in places approved by the state and under government supervision.
The state-linked China Christian Council estimates the country has around 20 million Christians -- not including Catholics -- 70 per cent of them living in rural areas.
The actual number, however, could be at least 40 million to 60 million, according to some estimates.
Overseas-based campaign group China Aid said last week that 14 members of a Wenzhou-based church were injured today morning when government officials stormed its gates to try and destroy its cross.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10