'Hindu' is Not a Religious Concept, It's a Cultural Identity: Venkaiah
Amid a raging debate on RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s remarks, Union Minister and senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu today slammed attempts to create controversies whenever there is a reference to the word "Hindu."
"Hindu is a not a religious concept. Hindu is a cultural identity," the Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs Minister said at an event here days after Bhagwat said India is a Hindu nation and Hindutva is its identity.
"If Hindu is a religion, then why this (The) Hindu newspaper?.. If Hindu is a religion, then why Hindustan Times newspaper and why Hindi 'akhbar' Hindustan? And why Hindustan Machine Tools (HMT)? then why Hindustan Aeronautics Limited ? then why Hindustan Shipyard?
"I can give 125 examples like this. These are not the names given by (Prime Minister) Narendra Modi or Venkaiah Naidu or somebody. This has been there in our traditions. On August 15, what do you say ?'Jai Hind'; does it mean to say Hinduon ko Jai aur bakio ko nahi. Aisa hai kya"? Naidu said.
Speaking at the closing ceremony of year-long CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) 70th anniversary celebrations, he argued that when one talks of 'Swadeshi', it means to tap the knowledge which is available in India and then excel. "We are not opposed to getting anything from outside."
"India has given home to everybody, all the religions. Everybody has come here freely. This great culture, this nation has capacity to assimilate everybody."
"This is the deep-rooted culture of this country. And now some people try to make controversies out of nothing. And some people the very moment you talk of the word Hindu, they say (question) what is this Hindu?" Naidu said.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10