'Hindu' is Not a Religious Concept, It's a Cultural Identity: Venkaiah
Amid a raging debate on RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s remarks, Union Minister and senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu today slammed attempts to create controversies whenever there is a reference to the word "Hindu."
"Hindu is a not a religious concept. Hindu is a cultural identity," the Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs Minister said at an event here days after Bhagwat said India is a Hindu nation and Hindutva is its identity.
"If Hindu is a religion, then why this (The) Hindu newspaper?.. If Hindu is a religion, then why Hindustan Times newspaper and why Hindi 'akhbar' Hindustan? And why Hindustan Machine Tools (HMT)? then why Hindustan Aeronautics Limited ? then why Hindustan Shipyard?
"I can give 125 examples like this. These are not the names given by (Prime Minister) Narendra Modi or Venkaiah Naidu or somebody. This has been there in our traditions. On August 15, what do you say ?'Jai Hind'; does it mean to say Hinduon ko Jai aur bakio ko nahi. Aisa hai kya"? Naidu said.
Speaking at the closing ceremony of year-long CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) 70th anniversary celebrations, he argued that when one talks of 'Swadeshi', it means to tap the knowledge which is available in India and then excel. "We are not opposed to getting anything from outside."
"India has given home to everybody, all the religions. Everybody has come here freely. This great culture, this nation has capacity to assimilate everybody."
"This is the deep-rooted culture of this country. And now some people try to make controversies out of nothing. And some people the very moment you talk of the word Hindu, they say (question) what is this Hindu?" Naidu said.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman