Herald Case: HC Moved Over Summons Against Sonia, Rahul
Petitions were today filed in the Delhi High Court seeking quashing of a lower court order summoning Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and four others in a case relating to acquiring ownership of the now-defunct daily National Herald.
The lower court order had come on a complaint by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy alleging cheating and misappropriation of funds in the acquisition of the daily by Young Indian (YI), a company in which Sonia, Rahul, party treasurer Moti Lal Vora are among the directors.
A petition was filed on behalf of Vora while pleas were understood to have been filed on behalf of the other accused also.
"Set aside the order dated June 26, 2014 passed by the Metropolitan Magistrate-02, Patiala House Courts, New Delhi and set aside/quash the criminal complaint filed by Respondent 2 (Swamy) pending before Metropolitan Magistrate-02, Patiala House Courts, New Delhi in so far as it relates to the present petitioners," Vora's petition said.
The trial court on June 26 had summoned Sonia, Rahul, Vora, party General Secretary Oscar Fernandes, Suman Dubey and Sam Pitroda to appear before it on August 7.
While summoning the six as accused in the case, the trial court had held that Swamy has established a prima facie case of cheating, misappropriation of funds and criminal breach of trust against them.
Swamy had accused Sonia and Rahul Gandhi and others of conspiring to cheat and misappropriate funds by just paying Rs 50 lakh by which YI obtained the right to recover Rs 90.25 crore which the AJL had owed to the Congress party.
The accused persons were summoned under section 403 (dishonest misappropriation of property, 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 420 (cheating) read with section 120B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC.
Vora, in his petition, has contended that Swamy's complaint was politically motivated.
"The present criminal proceedings have been initiated only with intent to secure an oblique political objective by the complainant. The complainant has no connection whatsoever with the issue at hand.
"The criminal proceedings are, therefore, manifestly attended with malafide and the proceeding is maliciously instituted only with an ulterior motive for wrecking vengeance on the petitioners amongst others for narrow political objectives," the petition said.
The plea also said there is "no prima facie case constituting any offence can be made out against the present petitioners as well as other accused persons".
"It is submitted that none of these parties involved have alleged any kind of misrepresentation, misappropriation or dishonest conduct of the other parties.
"In these circumstances, it is most respectfully submitted that in the interest of justice, the present criminal proceedings ought to be set aside/quashed on this ground itself," the petition said.
The petition further said, "The trial court while passing the impugned order of summoning have failed to appreciate that there is no material at all to establish dishonest or fraudulent intent on the part of the accused persons."
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBThe Dalit march from Ahmedabad to Una seeking justmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- Chinese Official Media Slams PM Modi for Balochistan Remarks
- Chopper Scam: Middleman Ready to Meet Indian Cops in Dubai
- Brussels Crime Lab Attacked to 'Destroy Evidence'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED