Heavy Rains Lash HP, Three Swept Away in Flash Floods
Three persons were washed away by strong water current as rains wreaked havoc in Himachal Pradesh's Mandi, Kangra and Hamirpur districts last night, triggering landslides and disrupting traffic.
No bus from Kullu and Mandi could reach state capital Shimla this morning due to road blockades, HRTC Control Room in-charge said.
Some of the drivers reported closure of roads due to landslides but detailed reports are awaited, he said.
Three persons were washed away and another trapped in the grills of a bridge as the bailey bridge between Jahoo and Bhambla over Sheer Khud in Hamirpur district was washed away due to flash floods last night.
The body of one person has been recovered while two persons are still missing, officials said.
The bailey bridge was constructed as the old bridge had worn out and was not in use. The old bridge was also washed away in rains along with the recently constructed bailey bridge over Sheer Khud, connecting Hamirpur district with Mandi.
Reports reaching here said that authorities have reached Jahoo to supervise relief and rescue operations.
Normal life was virtually paralysed in the lower hills of Mandi, Kullu, Kangra and Hamirpur as massive landslides occurred at numerous places and uprooted trees and electricity poles blocked the roads.
Attendance in most primary schools in Hamirpur district was very thin as students could not reach schools due to rains and disruption of vehicular traffic.
Hamirpur Deputy Commissioner Rohan Chand Thakur said the administration was seized of the situation and field staff had been alerted to take care of their respective areas.
He said the SDM, Bhoranj had been sent to Jahoo to help locate the bodies of the missing persons.
Reports of heavy damage are pouring in from various parts of the state and the data is being compiled, Engineer-in Chief, Naresh Sharma said.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10