HDFC, Birla Sun, Reliance Life Top Unfair Businesses Chart
HDFC Standard Life, Birla Sun Life and Reliance Life top the chart of unfair business practices among two dozen life insurance companies, as per the Irda data submitted to the Finance Ministry.
According to the data on 'Unfair Business Practices', compiled by the insurance regulator Irda, 10,819 complaints were filed by consumers against HDFC Standard life during April 1-July 20, 2014.
These complaints relate to alleged "selling of (life insurance) policies by making false lucrative offers".
The data further revealed that 6,185 complaints were received against Birla Sun Life, followed by 6,168 against Reliance Life during the period.
The track record of country's largest insurer LIC was much better as compared to private counterparts. There were only 763 complaints against Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), though it has over 80 per cent of market share.
Among the major private players, ICICI Prudential Life has a comparatively better record compared to its peers with 3,649 complaints.
The others which figure prominently in the list of unfair business practices include Bajaj Allianz (5,441), Max New York Life (2,615) and SBI Life (2,190).
There has been an increase in the number of complaints against insurance companies, especially private insurance companies, as per the Irda data.
The number of complaints which were one lakh during 2011-12, rose to 1.68 lakh in 2012-13 and further to 2.11 lakh in 2013-14.
In the current financial year, a total of 48,721 complaints have been filed by customers against insurance companies for allegedly adopting unfair business practices.
Irda maintains the data of unfair business practices in the integrated grievance management system, which is the depository of industry wide customer grievances.
- Telangana CM Offers Gold Moustache To Temple
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- After Ornaments, Telangana CM Now Offers Gold Moustache At Another Temple
- Business Models Of E-Tailers Running Out Of Steam, Haven't Worked, Says Mohandas Pai
- Demonetisation Sucked in Cash Like Vacuum Cleaner, Adversely Affected Consumption: IMF Official
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman