HC Seeks Centre, Delhi Govt Reply on PIL to Quash Circle Rates
The Delhi High Court has sought response of the Centre and the city government on a plea for quashing of the existing circle rates in the national capital.
A bench of Chief Justice G Rohini also directed the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to file its reply whether it is "charging stamp duty on the basis of circle rates or value of the transaction, whichever is higher".
The court asked the authorities concerned to file counter affidavit by November 5.
It was hearing a PIL filed by lawyer Amit Gupta seeking a stay on the imposition and collection of stamp duty as well as transfer duty in Delhi on the basis of circle rates, till the petition is disposed of.
"In any event, the circle rate notifications themselves are arbitrary and unreasonable inasmuch as the rates have been determined without any material on record or application of mind as has been admitted by the Respondent 1 (Delhi government) in response to RTI applications, and operate to cause great injustice and hardship to the parties.
"For instance, the circle rates do not distinguish between the particular floor or a property - and circle rates for a basement floor (which can be used only for domestic storage and/or parking, and hence has a far lesser economic value) is the same as the circle rates for the ground floor," the petition, filed through advocate Anirudh Wadhwa, said.
The plea further said that the imposition of stamp duty as well as transfer duty based on circle rates is thus, arbitrary, unreasonable and clearly illegal and is significantly prejudicing each and every person in Delhi who has or is looking to get immovable property.
"Grant appropriate interim relief staying any further revision/enhancement of Circle Rates by the respondents," the petition said.
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Pakistan Army Violates Ceasefire in Noushera Sector in Rajouri
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Embraer Paid USD 5.76 Million to Shell Company for IAF Plane Deal
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- Watch: The Trailer For Kahaani 2 Is Out, And It Is Gripping
- Convene TN Assembly on Cauvery Issue: All-Party Meet to State Govt
- SP's Internal Problem Result of Dynasty Politics: Naidu
- Kenya: 12 Killed in Bomb Blast by Shabaab Militants at a Guesthouse
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Fire in Hospital's ICU Unit Claims Six Lives in Malaysia, Three Indians Among Dead
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia