HC Rejects AAP Plea for Paper Trail Voting Machines in MCD Polls
The Delhi High Court today dismissed the Aam Aadmi Party's (AAP) plea for the use of paper trail voting machines in the municipal polls scheduled on April 23, saying it cannot pass such an order at the last minute.
Justice A K Pathak said an order for use of VVPAT (Voter-verified paper audit trail)-enabled Generation 2 or Generation 3 electronic voting machines (EVBMs) cannot be issued at the eleventh hour as it would amount to stalling the election process.
The plea, filed by the AAP as also by Mohd Tahir Hussain who is a candidate in the MCD elections, has contended that the EVMs to be used in the polls were obsolete and open to tampering.
During the arguments before dismissing the plea, the court asked the state election commission of Delhi why it did not opt for VVPAT EVMs in view of the Supreme Court's observation in Subramanium Swamy's case that such machines should be brought into use in a phased manner.
In its arguments, the Delhi poll panel said the question raised by the AAP on the use of EVMs in the MCD polls was sending a wrong message to the voters.
- 22 Killed, Many Injured In Blast At Pop Concert In UK
- It Will Be A Challenging Journey, But Worth Fighting For: Vishal Sikka Tells Infosys Shareholders
- Manchester Attack: 'Broken.. I'm Sorry', Says Pop Singer Ariana Whose Concert Was Hit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10