HC Refuses to Hear PIL to Stop Triple Talaq on Hindu Wives of Muslim Men
The Delhi High Court today dismissed a plea seeking a direction to the Centre that triple 'talaq' or polygamy should not be applicable to Hindu women who are married to Muslim men.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice Anu Malhotra said it was not inclined to go into the issue as the Supreme Court is already seized of the triple talaq matter related to changes in the muslim personal law.
It said there is no dispute that a Constitution bench has been formed to hear the issue. So, the law laid down by it will be applicable to all women and children of the society.
The high court further noted that "all women are entitled to equal protection under the law."
"In view of it (Supreme Court seized of the issue) we are not inclined to hear the issue. The petition is dismissed," the bench said.
The Public Interest Litigation (PIL) by advocate Vijay Kumar Shukla had highlighted the plight of Hindu women affected by triple talaq.
It had also sought directions to the Centre for making registration of inter-caste marriages compulsory under the Special Marriage Act or Compulsory Registration of Marriage Act with a clause on imposition of penalty in case an inter- caste marriage is not registered.
A Constitution bench of the Supreme Court will be hearing from May 11 a batch of petitions challenging the practice of triple talaq and polygamy as unconstitutional and discriminatory towards women.
Muslim practices of triple talaq, nikah halala and polygamy are issues that are "very important" and involve "sentiments", the apex court had observed.
- 22 Killed, Many Injured In Blast At Pop Concert In UK
- It Will Be A Challenging Journey, But Worth Fighting For: Vishal Sikka Tells Infosys Shareholders
- Manchester Attack: 'Broken.. I'm Sorry', Says Pop Singer Ariana Whose Concert Was Hit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10