HC Dismisses Request for Quashing Squash Selection Trial
The Delhi High Court today dismissed a plea seeking quashing of selection trial of Indian players for men's 2014 World University Squash Championship scheduled to take place in Chennai in September this year.
While refusing to entertain the petition, a bench comprising Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice R S Endlaw questioned the locus of the petitioner.
"The courts are inundated with challenge to various selections for sport events by persons who consider themselves to have been wrongly denied an opportunity of being selected and/or to have been wrongly rejected in the trial.
"We, therefore, cannot accept the argument that the aggrieved persons if any have any disability in approaching the Court. Without any aggrieved person being before this Court, we are reluctant to entertain this petition purportedly filed in public interest....
"We, therefore, dismiss this petition on this ground alone, making it however clear that the same will not prevent this Court from examining the matter at the instance of any aggrieved person," the bench said.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by Haryana resident Saket Wali who has sought a direction to the Centre, Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and the Squash Federation of India (SFI) to renotify selection trials for the upcoming Squash World University Championship.
Besides seeking setting aside of selection trials held in July, the PIL, filed through advocate Roma Bhagat, had also sought a direction to the AIU to conduct the trials afresh as per the rules at a neutral venue outside Tamil Nadu with neutral referees/selection committee.
- No Extension for Kumble, BCCI Looks For Head Coach
- 4 Women Gangraped, Man Shot Dead in UP's Bulandshahr
- Fadnavis Escapes Unhurt After Chopper Crash In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10