HC Dismisses Request for Quashing Squash Selection Trial
The Delhi High Court today dismissed a plea seeking quashing of selection trial of Indian players for men's 2014 World University Squash Championship scheduled to take place in Chennai in September this year.
While refusing to entertain the petition, a bench comprising Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice R S Endlaw questioned the locus of the petitioner.
"The courts are inundated with challenge to various selections for sport events by persons who consider themselves to have been wrongly denied an opportunity of being selected and/or to have been wrongly rejected in the trial.
"We, therefore, cannot accept the argument that the aggrieved persons if any have any disability in approaching the Court. Without any aggrieved person being before this Court, we are reluctant to entertain this petition purportedly filed in public interest....
"We, therefore, dismiss this petition on this ground alone, making it however clear that the same will not prevent this Court from examining the matter at the instance of any aggrieved person," the bench said.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by Haryana resident Saket Wali who has sought a direction to the Centre, Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and the Squash Federation of India (SFI) to renotify selection trials for the upcoming Squash World University Championship.
Besides seeking setting aside of selection trials held in July, the PIL, filed through advocate Roma Bhagat, had also sought a direction to the AIU to conduct the trials afresh as per the rules at a neutral venue outside Tamil Nadu with neutral referees/selection committee.
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Cauvery Impasse: No Breakthrough at Meet Convened by Centre
- Clear Response Given by Targeting Terror Breeding Centres: Shah
- Scarlett Keeling Case: Mother Writes to PM, Seeks Reinvestigation By SIT
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Four CMs, Opposition Leaders on Army Strike
- Congress, AAP Congratulate Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED