HC Dismisses PIL Prohibiting Acting for Minor Girls
The Madras High Court today dismissed a PIL seeking to prohibit girls below 18 years of age to act as heroine and other adult characters in movies after the petitioner herself withdrew it.
The first bench, comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, dismissed the PIL after hearing arguments by counsel for the petitioner who withdrew it without stating any reason.
L Muthuselvi, State Secretary of Tamil Nadu Makkal Katchi, in her petition submitted actresses booked as heroines and other characters in movies must have completed 21 years of age as they could be apt for the character of an adult.
The actress should at least have completed 18 years of age as by then they could differentiate between good and bad in a better way. While minors are forced to act as adults, it has a great impact both physically and mentally and they lose their childhood and right to education, she submitted.
She said women themseleves were indecently represented in films and sought to know then can girls below 18 be asked to act in films. She quoted the Indecent Representation of Women Act of 1986 to butress her point.
Stating that adolescents are recognized as 18 years of age in India, she said juveniles must not only prevented from any glamorous exhibition which is alluring but not be booked as an actress before attaining the age of majority.
She also submitted that it be made mandatory that no certification be given to movies in which juveniles act as heroines and if at the time of shooting she was a minor.
She prayed for a direction to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and other authorities concerned to prohibit acting of girls aged below 18 in movies.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman