HC Dismisses Petition Against India's UN Diplomat
The Madras High Court has dismissed a petition which sought to recall Permanent Representative of India to UN Offices in Geneva Dilip Sinha for allegedly disregarding India's stand during voting on a US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka for alleged human rights violation in the UN Human Rights Council in March this year.
Justice M Sathyanarayanan dismissed the petition by K Balu of Pasumai Thayagam Foundation who had alleged that Sinha had voted in favour of an adjournment, sought by China and Pakistan, and deletion of para 10 of the resolution even though India had decided to abstain from voting at the 25th session of UNHRC held in Geneva from March 3 to 28 last.
Balu, who participated in the session, submitted the Union Cabinet Ministers had disowned the stand taken by Sinha. Hence, he should be recalled, the petitioner, an advocate, contended.
Justice Sathyanarayanan said India's March 27 explanation at the UNHCR would prima facie indicate that any external investigative mechanism with an open-ended mandate to monitor national processes for protection of human rights in a country was not reflective of the constructive approach of dialogue and co-operation envisaged by UN General Assembly resolution.
The US-sponsored resolution had the potential to hinder the efforts of the country rather than contribute constructively to its efforts and hence inadvertently complicate the situation, the explanation had said.
"In the light of the stand taken by India, this court is of the view that no positive direction can be issued to the Centre to consider the petitioner's representation for taking action against Sinha," the judge said.
When the petitioner has failed to show any legal right to compel the Centre to do so, a direction cannot be issued.
The petitioner assumed that Sinha had acted contrary to India's written explanation but its contents did indicate otherwise, the judge added.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village