HC Directs Demolition of Non-Compoundable Constructions
Taking a serious view of unauthorised constructions and deviations from building rules in the city, particularly in the busy George Town locality, the Madras High Court today directed non-compoundable constructions should be demolished within three months.
A bench, comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice M. Sathyanarayanan, passed the interim order on a PIL by social activist "Traffic" Ramaswamy in the backdrop of the June 23 last fire accident in Sowcarpet locality here in which one person died.
"We are constrained to pass the aforesaid direction as it appears to us that the municipal authorities are not taking their responsibility seriously and there is a danger to life and limb of the residents on account of rampant unauthorised constructions which makes the buildings unsafe apart from the possibility of fire and other instances," the bench said.
On seeing the photographs annexed with the PIL, the bench said, "The photograph of buildings in the (Sowcarpet) area showing gross violation where even access to a fire tender would be difficult. We cannot permit such a mischance to continue."
The bench directed the authorities to carry out inspection of each building in the George town (Sowcarpet) area within three months and to prepare a report as to the violations of each building, showing what are all the compoundable deviations which can be compounded on payment of requisite charges as well as non-compoundable deviations which are liable to be demolished.
The bench said all concerned persons should thereafter be put on notice to deposit requisite charges wherever it is compoundable and remove/demolish the unauthorised construction in case of non-compoundable.
The bench said the above exercise should be undertaken within one month and processing of notices should be completed within a period of two months. Thereafter on non-compliance, demolition should be taken up with adequate police force on a day-to-day basis till it was completed.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events