HC Directs Demolition of Non-Compoundable Constructions
Taking a serious view of unauthorised constructions and deviations from building rules in the city, particularly in the busy George Town locality, the Madras High Court today directed non-compoundable constructions should be demolished within three months.
A bench, comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice M. Sathyanarayanan, passed the interim order on a PIL by social activist "Traffic" Ramaswamy in the backdrop of the June 23 last fire accident in Sowcarpet locality here in which one person died.
"We are constrained to pass the aforesaid direction as it appears to us that the municipal authorities are not taking their responsibility seriously and there is a danger to life and limb of the residents on account of rampant unauthorised constructions which makes the buildings unsafe apart from the possibility of fire and other instances," the bench said.
On seeing the photographs annexed with the PIL, the bench said, "The photograph of buildings in the (Sowcarpet) area showing gross violation where even access to a fire tender would be difficult. We cannot permit such a mischance to continue."
The bench directed the authorities to carry out inspection of each building in the George town (Sowcarpet) area within three months and to prepare a report as to the violations of each building, showing what are all the compoundable deviations which can be compounded on payment of requisite charges as well as non-compoundable deviations which are liable to be demolished.
The bench said all concerned persons should thereafter be put on notice to deposit requisite charges wherever it is compoundable and remove/demolish the unauthorised construction in case of non-compoundable.
The bench said the above exercise should be undertaken within one month and processing of notices should be completed within a period of two months. Thereafter on non-compliance, demolition should be taken up with adequate police force on a day-to-day basis till it was completed.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10