HC Approves Kerala Govt's New Liquor Policy
Giving its approval to the state government's new liquor policy, Kerala High Court today declined to stay the closure of over 700 bar hotels below five star categories.
A division bench comprising justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan and justice P B Suresh Kumar declined to stay the operation of the order culminating in the closure of bar hotels while dismissing a batch of appeals from bar owners.
The government had earlier declined to renew the licenses of 418 bar hotels as they were not up to the standards.
The bar owners whose licenses had not been renewed and 312 bar hotels who were ordered to close down had filed appeals.
The bench held that the bar owners could not make any prima facie case and they were not entitled for stay of government decision.
The court rejected their plea that the policy was 'hatched overnight'.
Advocate General K P Dandapani informed the court that the government's excise policy had been mentioned in the UDF manifesto itself. So, supporting materials are there is to justify the government action.
The court also approved the argument of Advocate General that there are sufficient materials to justify the government order.
The bench held that the government action was in accordance with the direction of Supreme Court as well as recommendations of justice M Ramachandran Commission, appointed by the government.
The UDF government has stated that its new liquor policy, which makes it clear that only five star hotels will have bars to sell Indian Made Foreign Liquor, was in the final phase to take the UDF'S goal of taking the state to total prohibition in the next 10 years.
- ED Issues Fresh Summons to Zakir Naik in Money Laundering Case
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- Would Have Been Better Had BJP Given Tickets To Muslims In Uttar Pradesh, Says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- DU Girl Gurmehar Kaur Moves DCW Over 'Rape' Threats From ABVP Members
- ONGC May Acquire India's 3rd Largest Fuel Retailer HPCL For A Whopping Rs 44,000 Crore
- At Least 20 Children Injured After School Bus Overturns In Kanpur
- Commission Says Counterfeiters And Hackers Cost The US Close To 600 Billion A Year
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events