Hardcore Maoist, Wife Surrender in Odisha
A hardcore Maoist, carrying a reward of Rs four lakh on his head, and his wife today surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district saying they were fed up with with mindless killings and other crimes by the rebels.
The couple - Bhima Sodhi (28) alias Russi of Kalimela area and his wife Nangi Kunjami - surrendered in the presence of Inspector General of Police (South) Y K Jethwa and other senior police officers here with a promise to work for the welfare of tribals.
Bhima, who carried a reward of Rs four lakh and functioned as 'assistant commandant' for 'Padia Maoist Dalam' in the district, was involved in around 17 criminal acts including murder, Jethwa said.
After joining the banned outfit in 2009, Bhima took active part in naxal activities and was involved in several ambush of security forces, explosions and encounters with securitymen, besides killings, the IGP said.
His wife Nangi had started carrying out Maoist activities in 2012 and had worked for the outfit's 'natya mandal'.
The couple told the police that they were disillusioned with the activities of the red rebels and realised that the ultras had deviated from the original ideology, he said.
Anguished over loot, extortion and mindless killings, particularly that of innocent tribals, the couple said they were keen to return to the social mainstream and work for poor tribals.
"The surrender of the duo showed more and more Maoists are eager to return to the mainstream as they are fed up with the activities of the naxals," the IGP said.
- Forced to Marry Pak Man, Uzma Returns, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- Maharashtra CM Escapes Unhurt After His Helicopter Crash Lands In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10