Hardcore Maoist, Wife Surrender in Odisha
A hardcore Maoist, carrying a reward of Rs four lakh on his head, and his wife today surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district saying they were fed up with with mindless killings and other crimes by the rebels.
The couple - Bhima Sodhi (28) alias Russi of Kalimela area and his wife Nangi Kunjami - surrendered in the presence of Inspector General of Police (South) Y K Jethwa and other senior police officers here with a promise to work for the welfare of tribals.
Bhima, who carried a reward of Rs four lakh and functioned as 'assistant commandant' for 'Padia Maoist Dalam' in the district, was involved in around 17 criminal acts including murder, Jethwa said.
After joining the banned outfit in 2009, Bhima took active part in naxal activities and was involved in several ambush of security forces, explosions and encounters with securitymen, besides killings, the IGP said.
His wife Nangi had started carrying out Maoist activities in 2012 and had worked for the outfit's 'natya mandal'.
The couple told the police that they were disillusioned with the activities of the red rebels and realised that the ultras had deviated from the original ideology, he said.
Anguished over loot, extortion and mindless killings, particularly that of innocent tribals, the couple said they were keen to return to the social mainstream and work for poor tribals.
"The surrender of the duo showed more and more Maoists are eager to return to the mainstream as they are fed up with the activities of the naxals," the IGP said.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman