Hamas Team Arrives in Cairo for Gaza Truce Talks
A Hamas team arrived in Cairo today for talks with Egyptian mediators on a possible truce in Gaza, an airport official and state news agency MENA said.
The delegation is led by senior Hamas official Ezzat al-Rishq, the sources said.
Egypt, the traditional broker in conflicts between Israel and Hamas, had invited Israeli and Palestinian negotiators to gather in Cairo to thrash out a durable truce in Gaza based on an Egyptian ceasefire proposal.
Israel, however, has said it will not send anyone to the talks.
"Hamas has proven that it breaches any agreement reached right away, as happened five times in previous truces," Israel's deputy foreign minister Tzahi HaNegbi said yesterday.
"It is therefore unclear at this stage what benefit Israel might see for participating in an attempt to reach agreements, based on the Egyptian initiative."
Another Palestinian team, including the Palestinian Authority's spy chief Majid Faraj, arrived late on yesterday for the negotiations, which are expected to start later today.
Representatives of militant group Islamic Jihad are also expected in the Egyptian capital as is US Middle East envoy Frank Lowenstein and the Middle East Quartet's peace envoy Tony Blair.
The talks will focus on ways to end the conflict in Gaza, which has so far claimed more than 1,700 Palestinian lives and displaced up to a quarter of the territory's population.
Sixty-four Israeli soldiers have died since the Jewish state on July 8 launched an offensive to halt rocket fire from the Gaza Strip, the army's heaviest toll since the 2006 war against the Lebanese Hezbollah.
The Palestinians are expected to press their demands for the end of an eight-year blockade of Gaza and the release of Palestinian prisoners.
Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said yesterday that an Egypt.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Kushner Proposed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Diplomat
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10