Hagel's India Visit Aimed at Nurturing Defense Ties: Pentagon
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will visit New Delhi next week during which he will hold talks with his counterpart Arun Jaitley and other top officials, aimed at "nurturing" ties with India after the formation of the new government, a top Pentagon official has said.
"The purpose of this trip is to nurture the relationship and not to ink any deal," Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby told PTI.
According to Kirby, Defense Secretary Hagel attaches a very high priority to the India-US defense ties.
During his three-day stay in New Delhi beginning August 7, Hagel will hold talks with Jaitley and is also expected to meet National Security Advisor Ajit K Doval and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
He is likely to call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Hagel's meetings will focus on the converging interests of India and the US in the Asia Pacific, their common interests in Afghanistan and initiatives to strengthen bilateral defense cooperation, including military exercises, defense, trade, co-production and co-development, and research and new technologies, Kirby said.
Insisting that Hagel's visit is about "nurturing relationship" and not about "military sales", Kirby said that election of a new government offers an opportunity to fulfill potential of India-US strategic partnership.
"We are committed to a long-term strategic partnership with India. We view India as a regional and emerging global power as well as provider of security and strategic partner," he said.
"We understand the importance of strategic relationship with India and we want to make sure that this relationship stays close and that we are able to create the conditions where our co-operation is normal," he added.
Kirby, who would accompany Hagel, said the defence secretary very much respects the role that India plays.
"He (Hagel) recognises that India is global player, is a strong nation and that she is becoming stronger and more influential and he respects it. This is a relationship that matters deeply to him," the Pentagon Press Secretary said.
In his meeting with Jaitley, Hagel would talk about the Defense Trade and Technology Initiative, which was started during the previous UPA regime, and is considered to be path breaking in terms of defense ties between the two countries.
"US and India have converging strategic interest in the Asia Pacific region and that is demonstrated by our rebalance and by India's Look East Policy. We also have common interest in Afghanistan," Kirby said.
Hagel's only public event is likely to be his address to the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), a think-tank, and his interaction with representatives of the business and industry.
In his address to the ORF, Hagel would talk about the converging interests between the two countries, the enormous opportunities that the US has with India to capitalise on these converging interests in the region, in Afghanistan and in the defense relationship, Kirby said.
He said this visit is part of a series of administration engagements that builds on the just concluded India trip of Secretary of State John Kerry and Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker for the fifth India-US Strategic Dialogue this week, leading up to Modi's upcoming visit to the US in September.
From India, Hagel will travel to Sydney to participate in his second Australia-United States ministerial consultation.
"While the Secretary remains focused on protecting US interests amidst the ongoing developments in the Middle East and Ukraine, this trip underscores his personal commitment to our partnerships with established and emerging powers across the Asia Pacific, as well as the US and our partners' shared interests in a stable, rules-based order that can continue to deliver peace and prosperity throughout the region," Kirby added.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events